New
Find
Notify
Tools

Deer Stand .. on Fire.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I heard of a story yesterday, where a fellow was in a tree stand, with a burlap and nylon skirt around it.

Seems he was smoking and feel asleep, and the cigarette must have touched the nylon and it caught fire. He woke up, with the skirting in flames. He bailed out of the stand and fell 12 ft to the gorund.

He did not break any bones, but has 2nd and 3rd degree burns on his face, and hands.

The ended up taking him 300 miles to the Augusta GA burn center.

Also his rifle stayed in the fire, and it cooked off the round in the chamber and one in the magazine.

After his friends arrived, one only asked if Leupold would give him a new scope?

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Clem
posted Hide Post
This gent. just may qualify for a darwin award.

Posts: 1292 | Location: I'm right here! | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Terry Blauwkamp:
I heard of a story yesterday, where a fellow was in a tree stand, with a burlap and nylon skirt around it.

Seems he was smoking and feel asleep, and the cigarette must have touched the nylon and it caught fire. He woke up, with the skirting in flames. He bailed out of the stand and fell 12 ft to the gorund.

He did not break any bones, but has 2nd and 3rd degree burns on his face, and hands.

The ended up taking him 300 miles to the Augusta GA burn center.

Also his rifle stayed in the fire, and it cooked off the round in the chamber and one in the magazine.

After his friends arrived, one only asked if Leupold would give him a new scope?

That is why I hunt in AFrica when at all possible. Too expensive to be this stupid.

Posts: 10378 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of george roof
posted Hide Post
dogcat, do you mean nothing stupid happens in Africa? You mean poachers don't set grasslands afire trapping hunters? You mean Elsa was a good lion and really didn't mean to eat the Adamson's? Hmmm, I didn't know stupidity was contained by nationalism.

RETIRED Taxidermist

Posts: 827 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 02 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
No stupid is not contained in the US, but we seem to come up with new ways to be stupid on a regular basis. Maybe too many people have too much time on their hands.

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Don't wait, go now.
Savannah Safaris Namibia
Otjitambi Trails & Safaris
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1265 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know of a fellow who fell asleep on his deer stand while smoking. Seems the "sleepyhead" dropped the lit butt in his lap. Ended up with 2nd degree burns on his "crank".
Geez, people die all the time from smoking in bed.
And, a whole lot of people die from just smoking.......

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks"
Hamlet III/ii

Posts: 423 | Location: Eastern Washington State | Registered: 16 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by george roof:
dogcat, do you mean nothing stupid happens in Africa? You mean poachers don't set grasslands afire trapping hunters? You mean Elsa was a good lion and really didn't mean to eat the Adamson's? Hmmm, I didn't know stupidity was contained by nationalism.

Joy Adamson was murdered in 1980 not by her lion, but by a disgruntled employee (Paul Wakwaro Ekai) whom she had previously fired.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/kenya/story/0,,1143565,00.html

http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a2_126.html

MrAdamson was murdered (shot) some 9 years years later at Kora reserve by Somali Poachers.

NEITHER was killed by a lion.

this is not to say that treating a lion like a member of the family isn't stupid, or that they weren't stupid, because they seemed to be unable to deal with two-legged animals.

But Elsa didn't eat either of them.

AllanD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry I don't have any links to stories about it but I have read several accounts that Elsa DID eat someone else!

An old man sleeps with his conscience, a young man sleeps with his dreams.

Posts: 777 | Location: United States | Registered: 06 March 2006Reply With Quote