New
Find
Notify
Tools

Speer Grand Slams
 Login/Join

one of us
posted

Does anyone have any experience with the Speer Grand Slams Since they made the changes to the core? I am interested in the 180G withing normal 30.06 velocities (2500 - 2700 FPS).

Thanks.

Posts: 32 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know about changes to the core but I have used GS in 145g in a 7-08, 160g in a 7mag and 200g in a .300. I like them a lot and have used them interchangeably with Partitions depending which the rifle prefers. They are a hard bullet that I wouldn't use on white tails (150lbs or so). But then, I have never shot a white tail with one. I have used them exclusively out west on mulies and elk. That judgement is based on a couple of mulies that were shot with the .300 and the 200g bullet where the bullet didn't hit any bones or big musles and the wound channel wasn't that impressive. Although a nickel sized hole thru the heart is pretty final. Exit wounds were say quarter sized. I have never recovered a slug, getting pass thrus on all shots at whatever angle.
I have heard that Speer is making the GS with a single pour of lead now but someone supposedly called them and they said GS's were being made in the same old way.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks.

I understand also that it is a single pour of lead. This is stated on the speer web site. That makes me wonder if the performance has changed from past versions of Grand Slams.

I am looking for a good "all-around" 180g bullet for my 30.06, Grand Slam, Nosler or Hornady. I am familiar with the performance of Nosler and Hornady from reading posts on this site and others. I have not found much information on the grand slams since the change to a single pour core. Do they perform more like a hot core now? I do like the way they look but looks can be deceiving.

I do not reload, therefore I must pick factory produced ammo and find the one that shoots best. All of these I am looking at are factory loaded.

Thanks again.

Posts: 32 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
From what I've read/seen, it amounts to a tougher version of their Mag-Tip bullet. Sounds like a winner to me.

RSY

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
In side by side tests in wet phonebooks w/ my .280 using 160gr HotCore & GS, the GS penetrates only slightly more & retains only slightly more weight. For .30-06 vel. it probably comes down to accuracy. I would use them in a .280/.30-06 but want something a bit tougher for the mags.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of old4x4
posted Hide Post
Took a Newfoundland moose with the 285 gr .375 Grand Slam out of a 375/284 Win (at about 2425 fps). Took out one shoulder blade and exited (broadside). It left a 1 1/2 inch exit hole. The moose made a small circle and expired. Acceptable performance for me. I like them!

Posts: 504 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote