New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Open sights
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Scopes are so much better then Irons. My Dads in is 80's also he put one of first weavers on his rifle and never looked back. You all talk about making shots at 200 with irons try it at dawn and dusk. Try picking out the 6 inch hole through the brush to make the same shot. I don't even think about rifles with irons sights anymore. Yes I am old enough to have started with irons went to scopes 35 plus years ago they just keep getting better. The only rifle I would even consider irons and that would have to be a peep would be a close range stopper that was carried just for that purpose. Even than a good low powered scope is just as fast or faster If it isn't you need more range time.

Posts: 19616 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of choppa
posted Hide Post
I do not even own a scope, I do all my shooting with open sights, the closest thing I have to a scope is a red dot sight, over the years (I am only 29) I have had close to fifty rifles go through my gunsafe, and only five of them have sported scopes.
I like the no hassle of open sights,and the simplicity of them, in low light or spotlighting I find ghost ring sights just as good, I believe the rifle fitting you properly has a lot to do with it as far as automatic sight allignment goes, whatever works for you, and whatever works for me.

Posts: 137 | Location: Australia Vic Woorarra | Registered: 20 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think both scopes and iron sights have their place.

Both my 06's, my 308, and my 223 have scopes.

My Finnish M39, my SKS, and my Swedish Mauser have iron sights. First, it is a real chore to outfit these rifles with scopes. Second, the Finn and the Swede are already fairly heavy, and the extra weight would be a handicap.

My concession to 60 year old eyes is to use Mojo sights. They work surprisingly well when you can no longer see anything but a blur where the rear sight is supposed to be.

I took my Swede deer hunting year before last, and found that there are 20 minutes at dawn, and again at dusk, when a scope would have been better, but the Mojos were adequate. Aside from that, either the Finn or the Swede will do 2" five-shot groups at 100 yards, and that's close to what I can do with most rifles and a scope. And yes, there is something very fun about carrying an 87 year old tack-driver with iron sights on the hunt.

Now the 223 does 5/8" five-shot groups at 100, and that requires a scope.

So the bottom line is, use what suits your needs.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd like to outfit a semi-modern gun with a tang mounted peep sight, but I think it will have to be pretty custom, as the only guns that are often done with a tang sight are your BPCR guns and some lever actions. Maybe on a Ruger #1...

You can get a scout-style scope mount for many of those milsurp guns, that mounts where the stock rear sight went. Not sure how good they work.

Guys using the mojo sights, are you also using thier aperture front sight as well, or a blade?

Posts: 510 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: 27 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Mojo is an aperture rear sight, and a ring front sight. I am amazed at how well your eye automatically centers things up.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
VFR: Wyomingswede summed it up very well. Here in Ak. most hunting trips are for extended periods of time, remote and costly. What conditions normally are encountered in the Rocky Mountain west, I don't know. I fervently believe that on an extended trip, one doesn't leave anything to chance therefore, all of my scoped rifles have open sights for back up and I rely on high quality bullets in my handloads as well. I have hunted and shot moose with my .45-70 Sharps using a sporter style tang sight and in fact use the same type of sight on my .45-120 as well. Once installed on the rifle, one should properly sight in and practice with them as well. I think it very unwise to go on an expensive trip and rely only on a scope. I know that I would be "very uncomfortable" on a trip to Afognak Island, have something happen to my scope and not have backup sights . My opinions for what they're worth. Bear in Fairbanks

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I use a Williams peep sight in back with a Lyman Globe sight up front. I love it on my 30-06.