THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Help with hunting deer in South Dakota

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help with hunting deer in South Dakota
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Brian Clark
posted
I am really interested in deer hunting in South Dakota next year. My plans would be a public land hunt, really would like a good area for Mule deer. I have no experience with South Dakota so I could use any help I could get. Do non-residents have to draw tags? if so what are the odds and prices for tags and when is the deadline? Thanks for any help you can give!
Brian

Thanks!

Brian Clark

Blue Skies Hunting Adventures
www.blueskieshunting.com
Email at: info@blueskieshunting.com

African Cape Trophy Safaris
www.africancapesafaris.com
Email at: brian@africancapesafaris.com

1-402-689-2024

Posts: 1013 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 30 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is the link to SD Game, Fish and Parks
http://gfp.sd.gov/
I believe that all deer tags here in SD are by lottery, by county. The last time I looked, I don't think non-residents could get a buck tag, but a perusal of the state sight should help.
Having moved here from Minnesota in 1989, I was quite surprised that in this state, a doe tag is easier to get than a buck tag.

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You might want to consider a bow hunt I belive those tags are over the counter.

I see a lot of nice bucks when Iam out pheasant hunting.

Posts: 19610 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brian Clark
posted Hide Post
Are crossbows legal?

Thanks!

Brian Clark

www.blueskieshunting.com

1-402-689-2024

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes ,non-residents can apply for West River tags.you will likely has to pay trespass fees to hunt although there are some walk in areas you can hunt.Best to go to the SD Fish & Game site.

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of edholum
posted Hide Post
You can get a buck tag if you are lucky enough to draw a rifle tag. Bow tags are unlimited (i think?) and unless you are "handicapped" crossbows are not legal. I would seriously look for a landowner who will let you hunt because public lands get hunted pretty hard, especially in the western part of the state where antelope seasons have been open for a month. Good luck to you though, it is possible!

"Conservation through Hunting"

Posts: 260 | Location: SE South Dakota | Registered: 20 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brian Clark
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys! Looks like I will try the draw, Any ideas what some landowners would charge for a trespass fee and areas you would recommend.

Thanks!

Brian Clark

www.blueskieshunting.com

1-402-689-2024

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I live and ranch/outfit in the very northwest corner of the state if you wanted to pick my brain on licenses and whatnot.

Posts: 520 | Location: North West South Dakota | Registered: 26 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brian Clark
posted Hide Post
Randy PM sent.

Thanks!

Brian Clark

www.blueskieshunting.com