Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Bullet Selection
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted
Pick one bnullet and load, and stik with it..

Accubond will work fine, so will the rest...

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Found out I got drawn for Moose...yahoo! Now I must decide for sure what I will be loading come this fall. I was toying with the idea of using the 160 Nosler Accubond in lieu of my Failsafe or Nosler Partitions (7mmremmag). In my mind it was all but decided Accubond until I got the news that along with Elk and deer, I will be chasing moose come fall. Guess who's wafting in the wind now? While I have hunted plenty of the above mentioned animals, I have always changed my bullet for the species - big stuff stick to the proven and for deer I switch to NBT/SST bullet varieties. With only some paper targets to my name with the new bonded bullet I am finding doubt and come asking for thoughts or experiences. I sure do like the idea of the Accubond but is it going to meet my needs? What bullet given the situation would you pick?

thanks again

one of us
posted Hide Post
To my way of thinking that is an easy question. Stick with what you know works!

The Accubond is so new that there has not been enough game shot with it to be SURE how it will perform.

You KNOW the Partition and Fail Safe will work on a large animal like a moose, just stick with them.

I have a friend who went off to Wyoming one fall and while shooting a 7mm Rem Mag and 160 grain Nosler Partitions he killed a deer, an elk, and a moose with one shot each.

Good luck on your moose hunt.

R F

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
I think the urge to try something new is simple human nature. All these NEW bullets coming out seem to stir our curiosity. I like to try new things. That's just me. But once you've developed experience and trust in a load per gun, it's always easy to go back to it.

The accubond will work on moose, period. But if you have a Fail Safe load that meets your needs then stick with it. Or better yet, if you just want to try something new, consider the Barnes Triple Shock in 160 for your 7mm. I have found it to be an extraordinarilly accurate bullet.

The partition has a long and proven history. Sounds like a broken record I'm sure. Maybe not what you want to hear since you asked about the Accubond. If you're like me and just enjoy trying new stuff, do it. See how it shoots then choose from there.

My first choice for moose would most definitely be the new Triple Shock from Barnes, hands down. They should have named it "THE PENETRATOR."

And to boost your confidence, Barnes redesigned the hollow point so it would open more rapidly. On my mule deer the entrance hole from my TSX opened up so fast that the initial impact on the onside lung was already about 2" in diameter, and that is only a small distance from the outside hide.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Unless you're experiencing some problem like poor accuracy with your Partitions, there's hardly any reason to switch. The Accubond's only potential advantage might be very slightly higher ballistic coefficient and therefore slightly flatter trajectory, but unless you are anticipating the necessity of taking your shots at well over 300 yards this would be irrelevant.

Another factor: With deer, the Accubond will probably do a good job, but is likely SLOWER in initial expansion than the very soft front portion of the Partition. In other words, I would be more concerned about the Accubond being too "hard" for smaller animals than with it being too "soft" for larger ones.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys for the thoughts. The curiosity bone is always going for me but I usually end back at what worked in the past...call it short sighted or whatever but nothing like the confidence of experience and previous results come opening bell. Hence my wafting .

I have been reading about the Barnes triple shocks so might have to check them out. They do appear to be impressing a lot of more knowledgable men than me.

<allen day>
posted
I haven't even managed to kill any paper so far with Accubonds, but I have a long history with Partitions and Fail-Safes, and I'd trust either one to get the job done.

Since deer are on your list, I'd likely shoot those 160 gr. Partitions for the whole program and feel good about it.

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have killed several deer,moose and elk with the 140gr partition out of my 7mmstw's and a friend killed a few of each with the 140gr failsafe out of his 7mmremmag.The 140gr failsafe penetrated as good or possibly even better on moose and elk than the 175gr partitions that one of our other hunting partners used in his 7mmremmag.The partition,failsafe or accubond are all good choices for moose, elk and deer so pick whichever shoots best out of your gun.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote