Find
Notify
Tools

Cougar-hunters!!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hello. [Big Grin] [Wink]
I'm just courious if any of you could tell me how this hunt is beeing done, and where?
And if you are using loose dogs on the hunt?

The reason I ask, is because we are hunting our "Snow -cat" ("Gaupe" in Norwegian) here in Norway these days, and was wandering if it is a quite similar hunt?

We are using some imported dogs from Canada, called "Cougar -hound"(?), or "Coon -hound"(?)
I dont know if I got this right, but I belive some of you guys here knows what I'm trying to talk about. [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 736 | Location: In the deep Norwegian woods. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
460WBY;We drive logging roads and trails by snowmobile or truck first thing in the morning looking for fresh tracks crossing the road then return with dogs and hopefully tree the cat.Most of the dogs around here are Walkers but other breeds are used as well.w/regards

Posts: 610 | Location: MT | Registered: 01 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I can get the paperwork, I will be going with a guy in Canada who calls in them as you would a coyote.
I think this method would be much more enjoyable than using hounds, though the hound hunt is fun until you get around to shooting the cat out of a tree.

Just my 2c.

Posts: 2283 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Outfitters/guides here in New Mexico use hounds, some using radio telemetry collars. Last December I called one in using a jackrabbit in distress call. My hunting partner shot it when it was within 20 yards of us as it was stalking us. I think that was more exciting than using dogs to tree one but I'm sure dogs work more consistently.

BTW: Where in Norway are you? I used to travel there quite a bit and I've even been to Hell, but never saw a place called "Deep Norwegian Woods" [Wink] .

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here's a big cat for you guys to look at

Posts: 382 | Location: Lewiston, Idaho--USA | Registered: 11 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys,
Guess I don't know what I'am do trying to post a picture. If someone will do it for me I will email the picture to you. The cat is really a monstor. Pete

Posts: 382 | Location: Lewiston, Idaho--USA | Registered: 11 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would really like to see that foto, Pete.

If the picture is not to big (in bytes), you could send it to me and I'll put it out for you.

AND..............I must tell:
on monday I shoot a nice Lynx (youngster)!!
This is a really rear animal in Norway, and is very difficult to hunt. So I'm proud as he.......!! [Big Grin]
I belive the tracking, and hunting is very similar to the way the cougar is been hunted.
It's of course much smaller than any cougar, but it's still a very smart cat.
 -

Posts: 736 | Location: In the deep Norwegian woods. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
460Wby;
I just sent you a picture of a big Cat also! I hope it's not a duplicate picture! [Big Grin]

Posts: 588 | Location: Central Valley | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If it's the one taken just out of Bellveiw, Wash. it the same one. If not I only know how to send to your personel email adress. Pete

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, Marsh Mule, it's the same cat.
Just a different light, and angle! [Big Grin]

My God!! What a monster!

-

200lbs.!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Pete;
Same KITTY-KAT! As Crocidile Dundee would say: "Now that's a Cat!" To my understanding these guys were calling Coyotes and this big Tom showed up hungry!
I can't seem to get the knack of posting pics here either Pete, sorry.

Posts: 588 | Location: Central Valley | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Oooh MY! That brings a whole new aspect to coyote calling, doesn't it? That kitty hunts back!

That said, I think few would argue that fair chase cougar is probably the most difficult trophy in North America. JMO, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
Okay...

That's a big cougar. It's the only cougar I've seen that looked scary.

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah!
Just think, one half that size could easily have a man or woman, the kids or the family dog for dinner!

one of us
Picture of badgerrr
posted Hide Post
Wonder what he shot it with?

Can you imagine calling coyotes with a .17 Remington and finding yourself face-to-face with that! [Eek!]

Posts: 107 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 01 January 2003Reply With Quote