Find
Notify
Tools

Re: wby 300 mag ??
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted
The 300 Weatherby is my favorite caliber and arguably ( please note the term "arguably"Smiler the most versatile caliber extant. World renowned hunters like Herb Klein, Elgin Gates and others used it to take everything from elephants to deer. Obviously it is not suited to be an elephant nor a "deer rifle" but it's versatility is well-proven. When you consider that the round first came out in the 40s and remains close to the top of the heap some 60 years later, what more can one say? jorge

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think the beauty of the big 300s are their versatility. 180s for damn near anything and 200s for animals that might eat you. Africa aside,you will have more than enough rifle for north america.

Posts: 485 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 17 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I love mine and would use it on anything in North America.

Posts: 48 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 22 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 300 Wby mag is well suited for anything in North America, even the Brown Bear. Load it with a 180 Barns X for anything up to Bears and even including. Load it with the 200g Sierra SPBT if your concerned about larger Bears. The later load across my chrony is about 3060fps. Mine is a Rem 700 sendero with a Zeiss 3.5-10x44 sitting on top, wouldn't trade it for anyother caliber out today for large game.

Posts: 439 | Location: USA | Registered: 01 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been shooting a .300 Weatherby since 1964. With it I have taken everything from ground squirrels(a mite over gunned ) to 2 Brown Bears. There isn't anything walking in North America today that it won't handle. Lawdog

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote