Find
Notify
Tools

What's the Big Deal???
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted
Is it just me, or the time of the year, or what?

I seem to be noticing that many discussions that have started on here over the past few months have taken what I feel is a somewhat unhealthy/unsettling turn, as far as the overall health of sport hunting is concerned.

Perhaps I am reading too much into some of these discussions, but it really seems that there is a movement toward addressing various topics from a more elevated/purist-elitist standpoint, than just discussing legalities.

These have ranged from "Proper Caliber" selection for "__________", to shooting a particular animal in a certain type setting i.e. at a feeder-over a bait-a/in the water-at a water hole/behind a high fence/from a vehicle-blind, ad nauseum.

Are these discussions and the ensuing arguements/debates, being fueled simply by behind the computer/internet anonymity or a growing purist mind set.

Are we moving toward seeing a push made to start having the govermental entities the set the hunting regulations, start implementing "Universal" ethics, in regards to the hunting activities conducted under their individual jurisdictions?

Am I totally wrong in that it seems that hunting "X" species, under the "Legal" strictures in place, in the area where the species is being hunted, is no longer considered the main requirement for a person to be considered a true hunter.

Has it or is it coming down to intrinsics, such as methodology and/or choice of equipment?

What has happened to the concept that I grew up with, that as long as what was being done was legal, the game killed fell with in the legal parameters as to size/numbers/method of kill, etc., which satisfied everyone, as long as people were out hunting and keeping the sport alive.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Its the pussifacation of hunters!!!!! Big Grin

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
That may be the best explanation available.

On one of the regional forums here in Texas, a couple of years back, someone in the waterfowl hunting topic area, asked what gauge and type of shotgun people used regularly to hunt ducks.

The thread got locked down, simply because some folks including myself, answered the question truthfully, but because our listed choices did not fit in with the person asking the questions own personal idea of what should or should not be used, he went on the attack.

None of us were recommending our choices to anyone, we were merely listing our choices.

Why does another persons choices matter, especially as long as THEY are satisfied with the results and in the eyes of the law, their choice is LEGAL?

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Before the internet I didn't know there were so many different opinions.

I killed things. I didn’t “harvest or take” I killed.

Time spent hunting to me, my brother and Dad meant a good time sure, but we left the house to put meat in the freezer……
and still do!!

I grew up killing rabbits, squirrels, and deer. Trapping and fishing filled my time also. The only opinions were my Dads and brother. Magazines were read regularly but what the writers wrote about were just far away dreams to a young boy.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NEJack
posted Hide Post
Some of it is regional. What is considered ok in Texas for hunting would get me in a lot of trouble in Nebraska or Iowa (using bait or feeders for instance), and not in the legal sense.

I hunt alfalfa fields, which are basicaly big food plots. If I hunted over a feeder someone would go nuts.

Posts: 727 | Location: Eastern Iowa (NUTS!) | Registered: 29 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It appears to me a lot of youngsters Beginners don't have either the proper Peer pressure nor the proper Guidance from an experienced Hunter.

They "skim" an article or two from some Gun Rag written by one of the current Hacks(not all of them fit that description, but the Beginners don't know the difference) who is actually SELLING some Fad bologna. They rationalize, "if he can do it, then so can I!"

Then they go out, blunder into some Game, make a marginal Kill(could just have easily gone as wounded and lost) and they think they are now the greatest Hunter to ever live.

One of the guys who used to post here had this as a Signature Line:
"A hunter should not choose the cal, cartridge, and bullet that will kill an animal when everything is right; rather, he should choose ones that will kill the most efficiently when everything goes wrong." - Bob Hagel

That bit of Wisdom would serve a lot of the Beginners better than anything from a current Gun Rag.

Good Hunting and clean 1-shot Kills.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
Is it just me, or the time of the year, or what?

All of the above. Just take a look at one thread from 4 years ago. Nothing is new under the sun.

Hotcore bashes Barsness

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Boy, I'm glad I live in Alaska.

Back East, 20 years back; I think they had as near as many deputy game wardens in the woods as hunters. Of course this was to save the hunters from themselves; the big one was leaning a gun against a truck; seems so ridiculous nowadays.

In Alaska there are a few maxims such as every family deserves a moose for winter meat and such. In rural areas, it's shoot it when you see it if meat is fit at that time of year. The Indians hunt all year long and don't much care what anybody says about it either. Quite funny to see all the Anch hunters who drive 600 miles to hunt here and then spend all their time trying to apprehend all the local Indians shooting caribou the day before the season starts; as if any of the Indians will ever be prosecuted if they were to be caught.

Ya it does seem strange to me too to hear some perceptions on sport hunting, but here in Ak; it's still about fresh meat for most. Maybe if the nearest meat market wasn't 500 miles away or if air freight wasn't approaching 2 bucks/lb; it would be different. Bottom line, I could never live back east ever again; I'd be locked up within days. I'll stay put right here I figure.

Posts: 521 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 12 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I thought this over....there are many people out there with more money than time.

All the money in the world won't make up for lack of trigger time or actual hunting.

So these people buy an "elk rifle" usually way to big for the task but one they have been told is "the one"
Then buy a elk hunt package (guide, food, airport pick up, taxidermy, and everything else $$$$ will get you)
Then they go someplace where everything is done for them, all they have to do is shoot.

Just before the hunt they will drop by the local Cabelas to buy all the right stuff....
Guys please remove the price tags....the other rich hunters will make fun of you behind your back for this.
Show up in brand new boots, new clothes and a gun they have never shot....remember take the tag off the gun also.

I have two friends that are guides "out west" and they have told me some great stories, most are really funny and seem to always involve the guy above.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you remove all the tags then you can't return it when the hunt's over! Big Grin

Posts: 187 | Location: eastern USA | Registered: 06 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NEJack
posted Hide Post
Part of it is the money thing, but that cuts both ways.

On a recent thread, a guide said that he would never let anyone hunt elk with less than a .30 caliber. Now, from some of the horror stories I have heard that could be an understandable statement, but I would rather hunt with what I am familiar with than a big thumping magnum that I have never shot outside the range.

Posts: 727 | Location: Eastern Iowa (NUTS!) | Registered: 29 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cazador humilde
posted Hide Post
I believe the reason this happens is the same reason the "green" movement is popular - our modern society is now encouraging us all to "judge one another".

"Judge not, lest ye be judged" is so old fashioned, don't you know.

Posts: 1278 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Arguements about caliber selection will go on forever. When I started deer hunting in the early sixtys, hunters would argue over (discuss is the proper word)size of buckshot. Now, it seems people are a lot more critical over what others are using. Buckshot users would criterize rifle hunters, claiming "you can't hit anything with a rifle" not realizing they are the ones that hit anythint with a rifle.

Years ago, when we still had a lot of large, open hardwoods, I hunted with a 30-30 and later with a 7x57. Now, with pine plantations and large clear cuts, my go to deer rifle is a 300wm. Prior to that it was my 257roy, but with the new bullets availiable now, I may give it another try. Also, when practical, I carry my Ruger 77 RSI 243.

Another difference I see, is a lot of hunters has not grown up hunting. At sometime in adulthood, they decide to start big game hunting never hunting squirrels, rabbits, etc. I'm glad they're hunting, but to me, they have missed out on a lot of experiences and tradition. A few of them think they're automatic experts.

Joe A.

Posts: 152 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 06 January 2006Reply With Quote