New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who tans buffalo/bison hides?
 Login/Join

<BMG>
posted
I'm looking for a tannery that handles buffalo hides. A friend of mine shot a 1000+ buffalo in SD and wants the hide done. The local tannery that does deer and elk hides says that buffalo hides are too thick and ruins the equiptment when they used to process them. Does anyone have the name & number, e-mail, or web address of someplace that does this and at what price?
Thanks.

ps. He's not interested in a do-it-yourself method either.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Try going to braintan.com, and ask around. Wes Housler brain tans them for around 700 bucks I believe.

Glacier Tanning in Kalispell Montana used to do them for around 400, but the quality isn't as good as the brain tan.

Posts: 922 | Location: Somers, Montana | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
I bought a chunk of buff hide just yesterday from Fox Valley tanning in North Salt Lake. They had several of them.

Posts: 10157 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try a web search for other tanneries in your immediate area. The shipping cost on a raw buffalo hide is pretty spendy.

Posts: 922 | Location: Somers, Montana | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Talk to your taxidermist, he/she should be able to point you in the right direction.

Chuck

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
High Desert Taxidermy in Jerome, Idaho, 208-644-9035....

Posts: 41957 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a 42 square foot Bull Bison hide tanned hair on for $7 a square foot plus shipping a 1 1/2 ago. They did an excellent job and would use them again

Tanning Unlimited
Rte Box 109
Hermitage Mo 65668
ask for Don, (417)745-6374

Posts: 2300 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lone Wolf Tanning in Frederick, SD (near Aberdeen) does a lot of buffalo hides every year. I think he charges about $10 per square foot, but of course you'd have to ask.

Posts: 217 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 29 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Weller's Wildlife who advertises over on HuntAmerica gets them done along the boarder ( near El Paso I think ) where they get labor cheap enough to brush out the hair fiber beautifully. Give Bud a call, he's a good guy and maybe can help you.
Take care

Posts: 206 | Location: Tucson, AZ, USA | Registered: 26 December 2001Reply With Quote