New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vermont Moose Hunting
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anyone hunted moose in Vermont? Me and a buddy of mine applied for a 2010 non-resident tag. It may take a few years of applying before we actually get a tag. But I was wondering how good the moose hunting is in the Green Mountain State. Which areas have the better harvest rates, bigger moose, etc, etc.

Thanks in advance.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
when was the deadline??

Posts: 2267 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
https://www.vtfwdsales.com/moose_permit_app.php

According to the application June 1, 2010 midnight.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The so-called Northeast Kingdom (NE part of state) has the most moose - most sparsely populated by humans.

You can bid on a moose permit - cheapest winner last year was (I think) about 3.2K

Oxon

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oxon - thanks for your input. I was thinking the same (north east corridor that borders NH).

$3.2k for a moose permit in Vermont? That's a bit steep if you ask me. Then if you're not familiar with the area you need to hire a guide which appears to cost anywhere from $1.5k to $2.5k.

I'll apply for the permit for the next few years. Hopefully I'll get lucky.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Year before cheapest successful moose permit bid was (I think) about $2500. I bid $2800 last year and didn't get one.

I think you can get a guide for a lot less than that.

The Northeast Kingdom is the entire northeast quadrant of VT - not just the CT river corridor.

I've never won the resident lottery and have quit entering. I also will no longer enter the Maine or NH lottery.

There are a lot of moose in VT and if you get a tag the odds are you'll get a moose.

Oxon

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Holy cow! You're a resident and have never drew a permit? Eeker For some stupid reason I thought it was automatic for residents after 4 or 5 points.

How many years have you tried? Have the # of permits available gone up in the last 4-5 years?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know if they've gone up. The guy who does my yard work has entered the resident lottery every year for the past 10-plus and never got a tag. Now, of course, he's convinced it's fixed but I doubt that.

Oxon

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oxon - thanks for the info. I don't think I'll apply again. If chances for a resident are that low, then it will be non-existent for a non-resident.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My wife drew a cow tag a few years ago which I shotSmiler It was up in the North East Kingdom near Island pond. We shot it on the last morning of the hunt! Did not see a moose till the 2nd last day. There are Moose there but they can be pretty elusive! Lots of road hunters too.

Posts: 2570 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote