New
Find
Notify
Tools

7.62 x39 Wolf HP ammo
 Login/Join

<Marty Singer>
posted
Hi all. I am new to the forum and, this is my first post. Would the Russian Wolf HP loads in 7.62X 39 be effective as a deer or boar load or is this ammo best left to plinking duties?

I suspect that the bullet isn't constructed for controlled expansion and is best left for plinking. If that is the case what would you guys recommend as a medium game hunting load for the 7.62x39 in either factory ammo or a reload.

Thank you

Marty

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marty Singer:
Would the Russian Wolf HP loads in 7.62X 39 be effective as a deer or boar load

No.

quote:
or is this ammo best left to plinking duties?
Yes.

quote:
I suspect that the bullet isn't constructed for controlled expansion
Yes.

quote:
what would you guys recommend as a medium game hunting load for the 7.62x39 in either factory ammo or a reload.
"Use enough weight." Minimum would be 150 grains, or better 170 grains.

Carcano

Posts: 2452 | Location: Old Europe | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote
<Marty Singer>
posted
Thanks for the reply. I have a Bulgarian SLR-95. Would the rate of twist be fast enough to stabalize a 170 gr bullet? Anybody have any loading experience with one of these?

Thanks

-Marty

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry - I somehow automatically assumed a bolt action rifle. 150 grains should work, and there is at least one factory load out there, though I presently do not remember who loads it (a small semi-custom firm, I think).

An extensive reloading article is found in one older American Rifleman issue from the 1990s, by C.E. Harris.

Regards,
Carcano

Posts: 2452 | Location: Old Europe | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Marty,

One would think that the Federal soft point load would work on your small deer and piggies. The 7.62x39 is a neat little cartridge,especially for short range hunting.

Stay away from the WOLF HP's thought, they are basically solids with a faux HP.

FN in MT

Posts: 950 | Location: Cascade, Montana USA | Registered: 11 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bowhuntrrl
posted Hide Post
Marty,

I can't personally vouch for the stuff, but I have read reports of fantastic results with the Wolf HP rounds. The stuff apparently opens up quite violently and leaves large exit wounds. Try it out on some varmints. Probably be ok on smallish deer, but wouldn't want to use it on a large deer or a real trophy.

bowhuntr

Posts: 931 | Location: Somewhere....... | Registered: 07 October 2002Reply With Quote