THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    What do you have in your Possibles bag?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do you have in your Possibles bag?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am curious as to what people carry on them selves when hunting. I have an ass bag and alot of pockets in which I carry the following.
1)permits/ID/Tags
2)small fixed blade gerber w/ gut hook
3)12x compact binos with crooked horn strap
4)1 pr latex gloves in pocket
5)calls/piss lure-Maybe depending on species
6)chaw
7)face mask and gloves-When it is cold
8)When I am using any gun with a scope, I carry a "shooting stick"
9)(EDIT)-I hide my truck keys by truck...I am afraid I will lose them if I take them.
That is usualy what I carry for hunting white tails with a gun. sometimes I think I carry too much, but I seem to use all of it.
10)(yet another edit)-I always have a headlamp LED flashlight.

What do you guys carry?

-Ben

Posts: 412 | Location: Iowa, for now | Registered: 18 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Car keys, wallet, cell phone, candy bars, ammo, folding knife, paper towels.

Sometimes: Binoculars, rangefinder, an apple, calls, compass, gps.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SnakeLover
posted Hide Post
My day pack always haves - knife, flashlight, first aid kit, water, binos, tags, gloves, plastic bag, camera, extra shells, tissue, nylan chord, key/wallet, candy

If I'm sitting a blind, I might have a book and/or other clothes like a light jacket.

Posts: 472 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Let's see....
#1, Spare ammo
#2, Cold Steel Trail Guide folder (with gut hook)
#3, Compass.
#4, Binos (Steiner 8X30s)
#5, Gerber Multi Tool (Needlenose pliers)
#6, Butane lighter, x2.
#7, Emergency Space Blanket.
#8, Latex Gloves.
#9, Boresnake pull through.
#10, Fluro surveyors tape.
#11, 30' of 'hootchie cord'.
#12, Walkie talkie (UHF, most farmers use them in my area, handy if I need help!)
#13, Tags (if required)
#14, Topo map of area.
#15, Water (mine has a built in 'camelback' for about 1.5l)
#16, Cyalume stick x2
#17, Petzl 'Tikka' head lamp.
#18, candy/chocolate bars.
#19, Emergency rain poncho (one of those little orange 'k-mart' $2 specials)

Cheers, Dave.

Cheers, Dave.

Aut Inveniam Viam aut Faciam.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hot Damn Dave- You make me look like a Got-dammed Savage. Although instead of editing my orig post again, I do carry water when I need to.-Ben

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's all in there because at one time or another, life would have been a whole lot easier with it. Some of the country I hunt in can be pretty unforgiving and I have been wet, cold and hungry way too many times to enjoy it anymore.
I keep meaning to get on of those water filter 'straws', but haven't found one yet.
Since my injury, I have found it a reasonable precaution to have the basic gear on me, in case anything goes wrong and I am stuck in the scrub. It only adds about a pound to the rest of the stuff I am carrying, and could make all the difference.
I suppose it's really more of a 'survival kit' than a possibles bag, but it goes everywhere with me while hunting.

Cheers, Dave.

Cheers, Dave.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been thinking about adding a GPS, anyone know of a good, lightwieght, waterproof one?

Cheers, Dave.

Cheers, Dave.

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I've got a Rhino 110 GPS and Radio combo has FRS radio and GMRS radio channels as well as the GPS functions.
I carry everything that dave does plus even more stuff! I hunt mostly in the Mountains and for hunting trips and climbing trips I've added so much stuff to my daypack I can't even list it all, I still put on more miles than anybody i know so I guess I'll keep lugging it around. My theory is as long as I carry all that stuff I'll never need it, first time I leave it behind will be the night I'm hurt and stuck out in the high country.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NBHunter
posted Hide Post
I carry:
1) enough ammo to reload my rifle once.
2) lockback knife
3) wallet with lisence/tags and ID

If I'm rabbit hunting, a large ziploc freezer bag to put the meat in.

Guess I carry light 'eh?

---------------------------------

It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it

Posts: 741 | Location: NB Canada | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doesn't anyone carry water?

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Yes I cary probably more water than anything else 32 to 64 oz. depending on how long and how far and two apples always. (just me)

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
Not everything but some of the stuff.

1. TWO FLASHLIGHTS. Extra batteries. If you ever had a flashlight bulb die on you in the dark extra batteries don't mean squat. Bring a spare.

2. Water and some peanuts. Usually don't eat, but if I need something I got it. I always need the water.

3. Extra Ammo. When you need it there is no substitute.

4. Rangefinder. Even when gun hunting this is a great tool. It definately does not get left home during turkey season either.

5. Digital Camera. Whenever possible photograph successful hunts where they occur.

6. Soft Pack of Kleenex. Obvious reasons.

7. Ear Plugs. If hunting by myself with a braked rifle. Ear plugs go in before I shoot. I often do this with a non-braked rifle as well. Improves my shooting.

8. Drag Strap. Sure dragging one out by the antlers is macho but we need to shoot Does here. The strap is the easiest way to get deer out. You can even easily drag a bear with one. I've done it.

9. Binoculars

10. Compass

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
1. first aid kit- contains cigarette lighter fire lighter and latex gloves as well.
2. digital camera
3.head lamp- with spare batteries that also fit camera.
4.2 old pillow cases- for storage of musli bars when hunting and for use as meat bags on the way out(hopefully)
5. musli bars and a couple of prima type drinks
6.pair of spare boot laces- not really as spares more for tying up meat bags.
7. half toilet roll- for obviuous reasons and also for tracking markers.
8. knife that hangs off belt
9. UHF radio hangs off shoulder straps on backpack
10. 6 spare bullets on holder on belt more in backpack if hunting areas that contain not so friendly animals.

Posts: 64 | Location: australia | Registered: 29 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
1. Bladder of water (camel pak)
2. gutting knife
3. small saw
4. sharpener
5. leatherman
6. I carry shooting sticks with me
7. I carry my 10x42 nikkon binoculars
8. tags go in my wallet
9. Cell phone and walkie talkie on me also

Posts: 53 | Location: Washington | Registered: 25 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Has anyone had any experience or results with the Gerber saw that retracts back into it's handle? They look neat, and are fairly light, but do they stand up over the long haul?

Cheers, Dave.

Cheers, Dave.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sambar - we think much alike, including the binos, I like the Steiners 'cause they're small, light, robust & good quality.

I carry either a butt pack (short excursions in known, civilized areas) or a day pack (small rucksacks) I have two, one Blaze Orange, one camo. These have the all day stuff for the unexpected.

1. On my belt so it doesn't take up space: ammo, Knife - either folder or fixed blade and a minature, imitation Leatherman (lighter).

2. 8x30 Steiners around my neck, so don't have to worry about them taking space either.

3. Water (Day Pack only.)

4. Silva compass (samll & flat) - local map.

5. Pocket-sized digital camera.

6. Petzl Headlamp & Mini-Mag Lite.

7. In a 1 gallon folded-up Zip-Lock Bag, 2 pr. sugical gloves, small pkg. of Baby Wipes, smaller Zip-Locks & plastic bags.

8. License, tags & I.D.

9. Two or three disposable lighters.

10. Cyclume (sp?) Stick.

11. 50' Parachute cord.

12. 2 Emergency Space blankets.

13. Blaze Orange vest & hat band.

14. Couple of Granola Bars.

15. Roll of flouresant marking tape.

16. Roll of black electrical tape.

17. Small pkg. of assorted band aides, medical tape w/mosquito repellant.

18. Cell phone.

19. Bandana's, handkerchief's whatever you want to call 'em, indispensable, normally two - in pockets.

20. Last but not to be forgotten, for the end of the day - normally in my rucksack is a Hip Flask with a couple of drops of the "Water of Life".

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A couple of items I've found very useful:

Heavy rubber, latex gloves, not exam gloves but rather the orange funinture stripping gloves that you find in the hardware stores. A quantum leap in toughness over exam gloves. Also if you are working in very cold weather, read late Nov. in Montana at 7000 ft. you can put liner gloves inside them for warmth.

An ax. I know the weight arguement but if you have to build a fire NOW nothing else comes close. I have a Gerber with a handle that I guess 16 inches, tried the real short handled one and it's OK but the longer handle rocks. Very good for butchering elk, especially a total bone out whick I seem to do nearly every time because of location. Bring a brand new small file along to keep the ax razor sharp.

Light sticks: The kind you bend and they light up in a soft green or other color light. If I'm tent camping in bear country I tape one to the barrel of my 44 at night. Never had to use it but when things go bump in the night it's nice to be able to find your pistol NOW.

ALways 2 flashinglights, one a headlamp, the other a 2 cell Mag-lite.

GPS units: I've got a Garmin Venture that works very well. Nice if you have to point out to some outfitter that you are on public land.

Electrical tape, the duck tape of the back country. Parachute cord in 6 foot lengths, totaling about fifty feet.

Finally: Baby wipes. Clean up anything and everything. Also work great for a "bath" while backpacking.

Posts: 763 | Location: Montana | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
M-H,

That's why I love Baby Wipes - they are utilitarian for more than one purpose!

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I ususaly have baby wipes in the truck. They do come in very handy. Sometimes I carry a little plastic flask with gin and water in it. I wouls say that I only do that when I can walk back to the house. That leaves only ohio. Here in Iowa I have to drive 10 miles to my main spot. I also wait until I am done for the day or I have bagged a deer and am getting ready to dress it out. Happy hunting and cheers cheers

one of us
posted Hide Post

Thank you.

For confirming what responsible hunters CAN/COULD carry in their Back/Butt Pack.....

Waidmannsheil!

Cheers,

Number 10

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's amazing how much truly useful stuff fits in a small daypack:
Electronic hearing protection unless bowhunting
A few spares if hunting with a cartridge firearm
Gunsleeve or pistol rug as appropriate
Licenses & tags
Deer drag
Binoculars
Camera
Lenspen
Small knife
Large knife
A couple field dressing kits
Spare latex gloves
Cordage
Surveyors tape
Calls
Scent bottles
Pruning clipper
Surefire flashlight
LED headlamp
Trauma dressing
Thermos full of French roast
One liter water bottle
Late breakfast, light lunch, and early supper
Stocking cap
Gloves
Socks
Ensolite foam pad about 10 inches square
Space blanket
Tube tent
Orange disposable plastic poncho
Bic lighter and/or match safe
Handwarmers
Handkerchief (any color but white)
Frequently a book

posted Hide Post
Parachute cord
orange flagging tape
roll of TP
matches and lighter
pocket knife
small sharpening stone
candle
poncho
cornboiler with couple packs of ramen noodles, hot chocolate an apple cider packets
compass
GPS
2 Batteries for GPS
couple of water bottles

On my belt is a ammo holder that holds 10 shells, a Marbles sheath knife, in my pocket is another bic lighter and pocket knife.

One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
Rifle, ammo, wipies.........EVERYTHING else is a luxury (including license). Get in the truck and go.....then worry about what you forgot.

But when I carry a backpack: wipies, binos (w/built in rangefinder), ammo wallet, two knives, knife sharpener, flashlight, batteries for bino rangefinder and flashlight, small rifle cleaning kit, digital camera (one of those small credit card sized ones) are standard.

Depending on the hunt: small sandbag for stands, small medical kit (including anesthetic and sutures), mini handycam, water, snacks, wool hat and gloves, wallet including license/tags and cell phone. I carry longer sticks, not in my backpack though.

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1433 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hunt close to home so don't carry much.

1. Rifle and ammo usually only 6-7 rounds
2. license
3. knife
4. bipods
5. toilet paper
6. drag line/strap to tie deer to 4 wheeler
7. camel back
8. snacks
9. hot seat
10. range finder
11. cell phone has a camera in it.

Don Nelson
Sw. PA.

Posts: 622 | Location: PA. U.S.A. | Registered: 12 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Laner
posted Hide Post
I kinda feel lazy now. Lets see here:
1:Extra ammo
2:Smokes
3:Lighter for said smokes
4:Cell phone (remember to turn off the
ringer next year, long story)
5:Game tag in the wallet
6:Honey buns
7Big Grinr Pepper (I'd leave the extra ammo before
I'd leave without my soda)

Arguing on the internet is like competing in the Special Olympics; even if you win, you're still retarded.

Posts: 99 | Location: Hays, Kansas | Registered: 02 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
I don’t get to far from my vehicle so I don’t carry much.
Compass (I will never leave home without one AGAIN)
Hunting License
Deer Tag
Ammo for Rifle/Pistol (what is in the guns and 1 refill)
Latex gloves
Buck Folding knife
Bottle of water or soda (Diet Dr Pepper)
Carrots, Cheese Crackers and sandwich
Blaze Orange Hat & Vest
Deer Call
Flashlight
Toilet Paper
Orange Tape
Small Binoculars/Range Finder

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
4:Cell phone (remember to turn off the ringer next year, long story)
I had my cellphone in my daypack last season (which is kinda silly since it doesn't work very well in our favorite hunting spot). It started ringing as I drew a bead on my second deer of the season as she ambled through the woods. She heard the noise from 60 yards off and paused to look my way...

posted Hide Post
Among the 'most important' items I carry is about 5' of toilet paper, I call it 'mountain money'. I've ruined alot of good pairs of gloves by forgetting to reload my MM.

I also make sure I have a compass, when hunting in AK anyway. I don't ever rely on a GPSs' batteries.

Posts: 68 | Location: AK, MN winter | Registered: 06 February 2004Reply With Quote