Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.30-06 elk loads
 Login/Join

posted
I'd like some advice. I'm going on my first elk hunt this fall, a rifle bugle hunt, and want to shoot my '06. I'm considering 180 gr TSX, possibly TTSX. Interested in everyone's favorite bullet and load. Thanks for your input!

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bradboone:
I'd like some advice. I'm going on my first elk hunt this fall, a rifle bugle hunt, and want to shoot my '06. I'm considering 180 gr TSX, possibly TTSX. Interested in everyone's favorite bullet and load. Thanks for your input!

Hi Brad. Looks like this is your first post. You picked a bullet that probably cannot be bested. I favor the newer ttsx myself. You can't go wrong. Other great choices would naturally be the partition or aframe.

I'd flip a coin b/w the 168 and 180 Barnes. My rifle likes both.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
My 30/06 Elk laod is 56 grains of IMR-4350 and a Sierra 180 grain bullet. This works day in and day out on elk, some will say use a Nosler Partition and I'm sure they are just fine. I tried 180 grain Nosler Accubonds a few years ago and they worked on two Bulls but I was not pleased with their performance it seems they are soft and over expanded and did not penetrate fully. In the same situation I have shot Sierra's and got full penetration with an exit, I've never recovered a Sierra bullet from a Deer, Elk, Antelope, Bighorn Sheep, or Mtn. Goat all performed great and exited.
I think your choice of the Barnes bullets will be fine however if I understand Barnes concept you should drop down in bullet weight to gain more velocity and the lighter Barnes bullet will penetrate like a heavier conventional bullet.
However if your rifle shoots them well shoot them!
More important than bullet selection is make a great first shot!
Good luck.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your prompt reply!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I took a 6x6 bull from New Mexico several years ago with a .30-06. I handloaded a 180 gr Nosler Partition behind a max load of Norma 204 powder. One shot at around 125 yards killed the elk graveyard dead.

A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul. G.B. Shaw

One of Us
Picture of Skinner.
posted Hide Post
I developed a load for a friends '06 last year with Barnes 168 gr. Tipped TSX for his 'condor zone' load.

He's taken a couple bucks, couple feral hogs and a spike bull elk taken out of state and seems very pleased with their performance. And he's prone to whining.

I read were the 'Spider Bull' was taken with that same Barnes bullet, so if it's good enough for a hunt that probably cost $250,000 or so it must work. Big Grin

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
I guess we should all chip in and tell you our favorite powders too.

I like, and would use ANY of the following for the 168 or 180 bullet:

Re22, Re19
any 4350, 4831
IMR4064
H414
Varget

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use 200gr Sierra Game Kings with 52gr of IMR-4350 seated to 3.35" OAL.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm using 168 TSXs over a max load of RL19 in my '06 with amazing results. I'm getting 32"+ penetration and the devastation is impressive on hogs. If you use the TSX in the '06, I'd go no heavier than the 168; you need the velocity to make then work not the weight. You will get the penetration.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LWD:
I'm using 168 TSXs over a max load of RL19 in my '06 with amazing results.

me too. what is your powder charge? I'm using win brass and a 210Match primer.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 265 grain Partition will knock em dead ever time.
Regards, Keith

Posts: 208 | Location: S.W. Wyoming | Registered: 31 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On the above post I meant to say 165 grain Partition. Sorry about that.
Regards, Keith

Posts: 208 | Location: S.W. Wyoming | Registered: 31 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Snell is correct. Barnes suggests dropping down one common weight to pick up velocity. Also, the monometals are long for weight, so a 168gr is about the same length as a standard cup and core 180gr. Using a 180gr TTSX is like using a 200gr *fill in the blank* bullet.

If you think every possible niche has been filled already, thank a wildcatter!

Posts: 2287 | Location: CO | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear everyone's thoughts. So as I understand it, the 168 has been working well,and there is some concern about a 180 gr performance at '06 velocities.
Any thoughts about the new Trophy Bonded tipped bullet compared to TTSX/TSX? Thanks again for all the help.

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Glad to hear everyone's thoughts. So as I understand it, the 168 has been working well,and there is some concern about a 180 gr performance at '06 velocities.
Any thoughts about the new Trophy Bonded tipped bullet compared to TTSX/TSX? Thanks again for all the help.

Brad, you have absolutely NOTHING to worry about if you choose a 180 Barnes. I think the point is that since they are all copper, they are longer. I certainly haven't had a velocity problem with any weight in TSX or TTSX.

I just favor the 168 TTSX as I got quicker, better accuracy. And there is no bull elk on earth I would hesitate to use that combo. I am confident that if I spent a little more time with the 180s I would have achieved a load that would be more than satisfying. I'm lazy. I admit it. When I'm working with 2 or even 3 possible bullets with different load combos and I get some repeatable accuracy with one, I usually stop.

posted Hide Post
Thanks Doc! I've ordered both 168 and 180 TTSX. I Look forward to working up the right load.

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks Doc! I've ordered both 168 and 180 TTSX. I Look forward to working up the right load.

What's your powder choices?

I'd start with Re19 on the 168 and Re22 on the 180. You'll get kickass velocities.

posted Hide Post
I was going to start with Re19 on the 168 and H4350 on the 180, but looks like I'm going to have to get some Re22.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by LWD:
I'm using 168 TSXs over a max load of RL19 in my '06 with amazing results.

me too. what is your powder charge? I'm using win brass and a 210Match primer.

I'm using Nosler brass, Fed 210s, and 60 grains of RL19.

I have about 25 of these left. When I reload I'm thinking about trying the 150 TTSX for some extra velocity.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
59.0 for me. I've thought about the 150 but just decided that the 168, for now, is likely the lightest I'll go.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The best 30-06 elk load I ever came up with was a Hornady 190 BTSP over a max charge of RL-22. Gave excellent accuracy and nearly 2800 fps in my 24" Shilen barreled Springfield. Killed elk effectively, too.

Posts: 662 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
That 190 BTSP is probably one of the best bullets of all time, especially for the .06 and 300 wm. It's soft enough to expand quick, yet long enough for penetration. They usually don't mushroom past that cannelure.

Great choice also.

One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
My 30-06 is my backup for elk hunts and I have it loaded with 180 grain TTSX bullets. I've also loaded the 168 grain TTSXs. They both shoot VERY well out of my rifle using IMR-4831.

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I normally go to the 180gr partition and a max load of RE22. No problems with expansion! Have also used the 180gr Interbond which expands very well at long range with great ballistics.

________

"...And on the 8th day, God created beer so those crazy Canadians wouldn't take over the world..."

Posts: 539 | Location: Winnipeg, MB. | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
180 partition, 56.0 gr. IMR 4831, win case, WLR primer, 2730 fps. Groups .75" at 100 yards. Killed a small mountain goat at over 200 yards, a moose at 60 yards, and an elk at 125. I am happy with it.
Good luck on your elk hunt,
Graham

Posts: 264 | Location: Northern BC, Canada | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Consider ~63-64 grs of Normal MRP behind a 180 Accubond - it should be AWSOME! But, work up to it. Velocity with a 24" barrel should approach 2900 fps, and without excessive pressure.