Find
Notify
Tools

6.5X55 versus 6.5-06
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Leo M
posted
I have a Remington 700 Classic in 6.5X55. Thinking of reaming to the standard 6.5-06, not the improved version. Thoughts anyone? Also I have heard the improved rounds do not come out of the mag as well. Is thhis true?

Posts: 188 | Location: New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: 25 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leo, if you've just got to do this, and I can see some merit to the idea, I think I would do exactly as you say and just stop and the standard 6.5/06. This is going to be a slightly overbore capacity cartridge as is. Blowing it out to an "improved" design is probably counter- productive.

The 6.5x55 is a sweetie as is, but if you've shot the throat out of it, this might be a sneaky way of rejuvinating things. Plus you will pick up a good 200+ fps.

Let us know how it turns out.

(Now get ready to be swarmed by those disagreeing with your whole project and me. [Eek!] )

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Leo M
posted Hide Post
The throat is fine, I just like the idea of the 200 fps faster and the sucess of the whole 06 family.

Posts: 188 | Location: New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: 25 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leo M:
The throat is fine, I just like the idea of the 200 fps faster and the sucess of the whole 06 family.

I can't fault that, Leo. Find a good gunsmith and do it. The 6.5/06 is a good round.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't think you can do that. Isn't the 6.5X55 case a little larger in diameter than the 06. Walker

Posts: 498 | Location: San Antonio , Texas USA | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Walker - The cartridge base of the 6.5x55 is .479 and the /06 case is .473, i.e. .006 difference. I'm afraid I'm not gunsmith enough to know for sure how much of an issue this is but you raise a valid concern. [Confused]

<Kimmo E>
posted
The difference is not a problem many mauser m96 is rechambered to 6,5*06

<RickMD>
posted
Leo: Please don't put a nasty chambering reamer to that nice rifle. Sell it and buy a .264 Winchester if you need the speed. Pecos is right. To rechamber for the 6.5-06 you're going to have to set the barrel back and rechamber. That alone is going to cost you several hundred bucks. Sell the Classic and put the money plus the gunsmithing cost saved into a new rifle.