New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bi Pods
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Which Bi Pod is best for a tall guy? Sizes vary from prone to sitting. I haven't ever shot with a Bi Pod. heading west and I want to at least try one. Thanks

Windage and elevation, Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation...

Posts: 944 | Location: michigan | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I use the Harris 12-25 and I'm 6'2". Either the swivel or fixed one works well. The swivel model is easier to aim and the fixed is more rigid.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chain.

Six foot tall, and I have bipods by Harris - 6-9 and 12-25" I think. The short one gets used all the time, if I intend hunting from a static location. The longer model (allows for sitting shots) I find a tad too tall to comfortably support the butt with my left hand. As such - long range accuracy suffers.

Because of this, I tend to use my daypack or binoculars as a rest for prone shots - you have them with you anyhow, and daypack provides an element of cover from view. I carry a pair of Stoneypoint folding sticks for shots from sitting or kneeling position. Its a combo that is very light and quick to deploy.

DO drop into a gun shop and get down on the floor - try the options out, there is NO substitute! Smiler If you do decide to go for a bipod - pay the extra and get the swivel version. No arguement, they are MUCH more user friendly and quick to deploy.

Rgds Ian

Just taking my rifle for a walk!........

Posts: 1306 | Location: Devon, UK | Registered: 21 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I recently started using the SnipePod made by Kramer Designs. Light weight and very steady.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The one to look at is the Harris, and the one slam dunk I'd go to is the one that goes to 13" at max. Anything taller will sit in the closet once you use this size of one.

By the way I am 6'1" and this I've found to work for those tall or short. It really doesn't matter.

MD

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of gas57
posted Hide Post
I have used the Versa-Pod on my 338 with good results.

When catapults are outlawed, only outlaws will have catapults!

Posts: 903 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To the best of my knowledge I own every size bipod that Harris makes. I find them all usefull at certain times, but the most used is the 9-13 inch version that swivels.

The short bench rest model is good for just that, bench rest shooting and not much else. Oh, I have used it on prairie dog hunts, but it pretty short.

The 9-13 inch version is just great for shooting prone. It gets lots of use for prairie dogs, ground squirrels, marmots, coyotes, etc.

The longer version that extends in three sections is a good compromise for some hunts. It is tall enough to shoot behind while sitting down. It is ALMOST too tall to shoot behind while lying down. It is not as nice for that as the 9-13 inch version. BUT, for shooting while sitting it is great! The last 6 point bull elk I shot was while sitting behind one of those bipods, worked great!! (The previous bull elk I shot was off the same bipod, but lying down.)

I am going to New Mexico next week for an antelope hunt. Lst year the grass was just too high to lay down and shoot. I will take both the 9-13 and the higher one for sitting. I will use whatever the conditions call for.

Another option that I will probably rely on is mounting the 9-13 inch version on your gun and then taking some shooting sticks with you. If the conditions will allow prone shooting you are all set. If not, whip out the shooting sticks and ignore the bipod.

And yes, the other guys are right, the swivel option is worth every penny that you pay for it.

Good luck hunting out west.

R Flowers

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote