Notify
Tools

Big Gator
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
They're still out there. 1000 lbs!

As described by the participants;
Shot last night in Houma near the soccer field. The LARGER female got away but was seen crossing Field 4.

And they waste no time in getting to...the kitchen!!

Posts: 1083 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 05 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good Grief! Did you plan to hunt this lizard or was it a target of oppotunity? Piney Woods dinosaur. Very impressive.

I'm going to come down there one of these days and hunt these rascals.

Any pointers?

Posts: 442 | Location: Montana territory | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
WOW...that's a huge 'gator!

Any more details?

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9377 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
any T-rex around there??

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like the Gator ate the T-Rex

Posts: 527 | Location: S.E. Oregon | Registered: 27 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The news is that the big bitch got away! More pics tho...

Posts: 1083 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 05 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is a huge gator. What was the length?

Posts: 807 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 03 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
dunno, looks 10'.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Man its a good thing you shot him before he got hungry. You might have been missing that white truck that was in one of the photos.
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Whoa! I didn't shoot 'im!! Never meant to imply that. That's why I wrote "participants comments" or the like. This was sent to me by a friend just up the road from where it happened.

One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post
I just got an email about this. Turns out my niece played soccer down there a couple of weeks ago. One of the team moms is now freaking out because she told her son to "just go pee in that field" while they were there. Eeker

The hurricanes have changed things a bit, but there are absolutely places down here where gators are allowed to populate that are a bit close to civilization. Rockefeller Wildlife Refuge is one of these. It can become quite full of families on the weekends. Some are in boats, but many are running crab lines and fishing from the bank. It may seem hard to believe, but I have personally counted over 75 gators in one days time. I don't think there are near that many there now, but I always thought they should have thinned the numbers by half at least. Those gators see so many people that they have no fear of us whatsoever, and will actually steal crab bait and such mere feet from said people. As federal law would have it, you can't even throw a rock at them or YOU WILL GET A TICKET, which will be higher than you will believe. Trust me, I know, but that's another story. Wink

Posts: 3628 | Location: cajun country | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Showbart:
dunno, looks 10'.

10'?!? I guess if the guy in the blue shirt is an Oompa Loompa! 2 of him would only come up to the shoulder. If he's 5'8" the gater is 13+

IMHO...

Collins
Airgunner / 458 SOCOMer/ 45-70er / 458 Lotter

www.actionairgun.com LIVE NOW

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
That is a big gator but the story does not add up.

First of all I did not think there are that many pine trees in Terrebonne Parish. The Georgia (or maybe Florida which would make sense) plates on the truck are a little confusing. Alligator tags are issued for specific areas not soccer fields. And female alligators (that got away) are much smaller, with anything over 10' being a very large female.

I have hunted gator in St. Mary parish since 1979 and we have killed over 1500 on our lease since then. Only one gator was over 12 ft long.

The gator in those pictures is well over 12' ft.

Edit: One more thing if it was killed in LA they should not be advertising the shot it at night, it is illegal in LA.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
All good points. I posted what was sent to me from the area, he said it was up the road from his camp in Cocadrie. I grew up in NOLA and pine stands can be found in developed areas but who knows, truck plates too. Country cousin maybe. I think it's in the south and it's one big friggin gator.