New
Find
Notify
Tools

Moose
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Which state in the lower 48 has the best odds for non-resident drawing a tag?

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Probably Idaho.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
definitely NOT Maine!!!! they have some great moose, but man it's like winning powerball! New Hampshire I think has better odds and they also kill a couple booners each year, vermont also has a draw but know little of your odds or quality of moose... good luck!

Posts: 206 | Location: nicholasville, KY | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No question, Idaho. Many units are even undersubscribbed, and quite a few have odds over 90%. Not necessarily in the areas with the largest bulls, but mid 40" bulls are taken in all the units. If you really want to hunt moose, Idaho is your state.
Bill

Posts: 1089 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd be more than happy with a 4o inch moose, I may have to look into this!

Posts: 206 | Location: nicholasville, KY | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. Sounds like it will be Idaho.

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
One problem with Idaho before you get all worked up. Because of the re-introduction of wolves, the moose population in Idaho is declining as are the elk and mule deer populations. The outfitter I hunted bear with in 16A in 2010 said that moose were almost non-existant in that unit because of the wolves.

There is a reason units are undersubscribed in one state when all the other states have a waiting list to get a tag.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
this year Maine had about 100,000 apps for 3800 or so tags. I believe NH has listed odds for a non-resi of about 1/88 for a tag. That's where I'm putting in next year.

Posts: 2267 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 May 2007Reply With Quote