THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    What Bullets In 300 Winchester Magnum?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Bullets In 300 Winchester Magnum?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Leo M
posted
Just wondering what weight of bullet you use for what animal in the 300 Winchester Magnum, or any of the other 300's? I just got one and want to use it for whitetail and moose. Other advise welcome as well. Thanks.

Posts: 188 | Location: New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: 25 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Leo M
posted Hide Post
I forgot, this would be for hand loading not factory ammo.

Posts: 188 | Location: New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: 25 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you want to use 2 different bullets, A 165gr for Deer and a 180gr for Moose- Start 2 or 3gr lower-Very Accurate Using Hornady bullets.

165gr Bullet-Rel 22-79.4gr-3135fps

180gr Bullet-Rel 22-76.9gr-3030fps

one of us
posted Hide Post
You could just use a 180gr or premium 165gr for all of your hunting.I prefer to use only one load per gun so that there is no confusion with trajectories or sighting in.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
You could pick a 180 grain bullet and use one weight for everything.

I just got a 300 WSM and plan on using 159 groove bullets in it. http://www.groovebullets.com/

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use 200gr Nosler Partion Gold, without the moly coating.
They'll work on anything in my neck of the woods.

John

Posts: 116 | Location: Juneau, Alaska, U.S.A. | Registered: 25 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would use either 180 or 200 grain Northfork or Barnes "X" for everything that a 300win should be hunting.

Joe

Posts: 263 | Location: Where ever Bush sends me | Registered: 13 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JLHeard
posted Hide Post
I have a 300 H&H and I use 200 grn Nosler Partitions. They'll shoot .8 MOA in my gun all day long. So, from gopher to blue whale, I don't see any reason to shoot anything else

Posts: 580 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted Hide Post
I've been using a simple solution for this for many years.

Just use the 180gr Nosler Ballistic Tip for deer and long shots on either deer or moose/elk.

Use the 180gr Nosler Partition for moose/elk up to 300yds.

The BC of the two bullets is very close so you won't need any adjustment in aiming points for the first 300yds at all and beyond that very little.

BC for the BT is 507
BC for the Partition is 474

It ain't rocket science...

$bob$

Posts: 2494 | Location: NW Florida Piney Woods | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
as good as the 180 is in any 30 cal cartridge it defies logic why the 200 gn proj is not used more in the 30 cal magnums ...i guess i must be missing something
daniel

Posts: 1481 | Location: AUSTRALIA | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The magic bullets for my .300 Win mag is 180 and 200 grain North Forks or Nosler Partitions. Coupled with RL-22 powder and Fed 210M primers they are winners in my barrel. I shoot a lot of other chamberings, but this is still old reliable for me, my son and grandson who currantly claims it. Good shooting.

Posts: 221 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 19 December 2003Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
I stick with premium 180s for everything, loaded to just under 3100 fps. Currently, I'm shooting 180 gr. Nosler Partition Protected Points in my two .300 Win. Mag. hunting rifles.

I've used the 180s on everything from Coues deer to moose in N. America, and on everything from dik dik to eland in Africa. I don't see the need for lighter or heavier bullets in this cartridge.

AD

one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
I like to use different bullets a lot. Usually one bullet per hunt except for this one time.

My last deer hunt with my 300 win mag I shot deer with a 165 speer boattail, 165 sierra boatail, 180 failsafe, 180 ballistic tip, and 200 partition. That rifle would shoot any of these into 1.5" or less. The verticle for the entire bunch of bullets was 3" so to 200 yards I knew I could use the same hold for whatever bullet I used that day.

Of course when I go fishing I switch lures about every five minutes.

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try the 168gr Barnes Triple Shock.
They shoot great, no accuracy problems like previous versions of the Barnes x.
Try Imr 4831 powder.
You get the velocity/trajectory of the lighter bullets and the penetration of the heavier bullets because they retain almost all their weight.

Posts: 162 | Location: Boise | Registered: 07 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jeff Alexander
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Try the 168gr Barnes Triple Shock.
They shoot great, no accuracy problems like previous versions of the Barnes x.
You get the velocity/trajectory of the lighter bullets and the penetration of the heavier bullets because they retain almost all their weight.

I agree with this post. These bullets shoot great in my 300WSM and .30-06. I think that if you gave them a try, you wouldn't be disappointed. Jeff < !--color-->

Posts: 1002 | Location: Dixieland | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have to agree with M 98. Why shoot a magnum if you arn't shooting a heavy bullet? My choice is the nosler 200gr partitiion.

Posts: 49 | Location: Western Montana | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a .300 RUM and im useing 180 Gr. Nosler Partitions and 180 Gr. Swift Sciroccos for just about everything. If Im hunting bear or moose I feel better useing the 200 Gr. Nosler partitions.

Posts: 188 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 24 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Easy answer to that. Doesn't matter if it's my .308 Win. or .300 Weatherby. For .30 caliber I use .165 and 180 gr. Nosler Partitions(mostly 165 gr. for everything). They always do the job. Lawdog

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot 200 gr Sierra Gamekings. I only use the rifle for white tails. Some may consider it overkill, but isn't as bad as when I was using my 458 Win mags.

Scott

Posts: 1662 | Location: USA | Registered: 27 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
leo;

i have a .300 w.m. and a wthby. i use the w.m. mainly.

use 180 gr for deer and the 200 gr. for moose. if u don't have anything bigger.

cold zero

one of us
posted Hide Post
The 300 Winnie is capable of very high velocities with the lighter bullets, and this is to be AVOIDED by the handloader, in big game applications.

Lightest sensible bullets will be 180 grs, but these should be premium if driven 3000 fps or faster. 200 grainers are remarkably effective, as the SD is up over .300 but velocities well over 2900 fps. The Nosler 220 PAR will do over 2700 fps with 5 different powders in a 24 inch bbl and gives up nothing to the 338 Win in a tight spot. I don't belive there is an expanding bullet made that will outpenetrate this one...it has the same SD as the 400 gr .416 and goes 300 fps faster. 100 yards out it has slowed to 2450 fps and will easily penetrate a moose end to end.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Afton, VA | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I guess I'm the odd man out. I like heavy bullets in almost everything I shoot except my 300 Win. Lately I am using the light 130 gr Barnes X BT. Nothing I would shoot in South Texas needs any more bullet than that and they are pleasant to shoot in my Colt Light Rifle.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot a .300 Winnie for about 14 years now. I have determined that one bullet for each gun is the way to go for me. I have settled on the new 200 grain accubond from Nosler as my do everything bullet until it proves me otherwise. I have used 180 grain nosler partitions, 180 grain Swift Sciroccos, and 190 grain Hornady interlocks in mine. All have killed elk, and I wouldn't hesitate to use them again, but I really like nosler bullets and this new accubond looks like a real winner.

Posts: 437 | Location: S.E. Idaho | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CaptJack
posted Hide Post
I vote for the 180grn FailSafe

one of us
posted Hide Post
work up a good load with a 200gr NP or a Grand Slam and use it on everything.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
180 Nosler will do it all!

Posts: 11 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote