New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shot my new .338!
 Login/Join

<303hunter>
posted
And it's just a sweetheart. I was expecting to get hurt and was pleasantly surprised to fire a powerful accurate rifle that kicked about like a light 12 gauge shotgun, very comfortable.

I'm sure things could get interesting with the heavier bullet weights ( I shot 200 grain Winchester factory) but I was so happy with it I fired my whole box of shells and had to drive 2 hours roundtrip to get some more.

The rifle is a Ruger mark2 wood/blue with sights and flirted with the magical MOA region on this first box of factory loads. The only bad thing that happened was the rear sight base loosened up.....socked it back down with a hex wrench. If it comes loose again I'll take the permanent loctite to it.

Well, to say I'm pleased would be real understatement. Now I know what the magnumitis craze is all about!

I've got a 1.75x5 Redfield on her and it's got plenty of eye relief. May put my pet 3x9 Vari-x2 on her instead. The Redfield really "looks" right though.
She's a good bit heavier than my 30-06 and I think this is the real key, along with the straighter stock (than my 30-06 760).

.338......purrs like a kitten, hits like a freight train! Well I'm sold on a .338!
100 pound whitetails, LOOK OUT!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree completely! Bought a 338, M70 2 years ago to add to my 30-06 as a hunting rifle. I shot a mule deer buck and a whitetail doe the first fall. I had the same opionions as you. Expected alot of kick but was pleasantly surprized with the 338. I have shot 1/2" groups with only 2 trial loads of handloads and shot 10 different styles and weights of factory ammo under 1" groups with the BOSS attached with mine. By the way, watching a 110# doe get litterly blown off her feet was pretty cool.
Good luck with your new rifle.

------------------
Shane Marquardt

Posts: 179 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 02 October 2001Reply With Quote
<BigBob>
posted
303HUNTER,
If you're going to load for the .338 WM take a look at H-4350 and the Nosler 210 grain Partition. It makes for a real sweet combination

------------------
BigBob

<Bill>
posted
Congradulations on your new rifle, good luck with it!

------------------
www.rifleshooter.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi

<303hunter>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by BigBob:
303HUNTER,
If you're going to load for the .338 WM take a look at H-4350 and the Nosler 210 grain Partition. It makes for a real sweet combination

Thanks, I just ordered a set of collet/factory crimp dies today, with some 200 grain BT's. I have a good stock of RL-19 to try for now. I'll look at the h-4350. i wish it would hurry up and get light out so I can pop a couple more caps!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Very Cool! I've had good sucess with the 215 Sierra...both on targets and with game. For an all around bullet, epecially in the lower 48, I think the 215 Sierra is a great choice.

Posts: 178 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 07 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
303hunter,

Congratulations on your new .338! I think you made a wise choice. The .33 caliber rifles are very versatile. It's one of my favorite calibers. Any don't let anyone tell you it's "too much gun" for deer!

As far as handloading, I've had good luck with W-W brass, WLR (non-mag) primer, 69.0 to 70.0 grains of IMR-4831 topped by a 250 gr Nosler Partition. This is not an absolute max load for the .338 Win Mag but it will duplicate factory velocities (at least in my rifle which is also a Ruger M77 MkII). It's an accurate load.

-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BFaucett:
303hunter,

Congratulations on your new .338! I think you made a wise choice. The .33 caliber rifles are very versatile. It's one of my favorite calibers. Any don't let anyone tell you it's "too much gun" for deer!

As far as handloading, I've had good luck with W-W brass, WLR (non-mag) primer, 69.0 to 70.0 grains of IMR-4831 topped by a 250 gr Nosler Partition. This is not an absolute max load for the .338 Win Mag but it will duplicate factory velocities (at least in my rifle which is also a Ruger M77 MkII). It's an accurate load.

-Bob F.

Hey! That's my secret M77 MKII 250g .338 load except I use a CCI250 or FED215 primer. Hornady sp. & Nos/Partions shoot best in my gun! Good luck with your new .338 it shure will fold up the Whitetails! Also works equaly well on BIG BEARS down to Rock chuck's

Posts: 2361 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try 76 gr RL19 behind Nosler 210 gr Partitions. Works like a charm on anything I've shot with it (deer, elk, moose, bear, caribou). Should get about 2950 fps from a 24" barrel. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've experienced the same thing myself. The first time fired my new 375 H&H I was expecting to get hammered. But it wasn't so bad, OK substantially more recoil than the old 6,5x55 but not painful or unmanageable.

I've got a friend who handloads for his 338, I will check with him if he has any info. I think he likes the Barnes X.

Posts: 544 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 27 October 2001Reply With Quote
<10point>
posted
303 congrats on the new rifle. Yes the .338 Win is the most versatile caliber there is, theres nothing it , not only cant do, but cant do well.

When you get around to it play with some IMR-4350 and 180-200 grn B-tips. You might find the ultimate open country deer & 'lope round. Of course the 210 Partition could be called the "ultimate everything round"........good shooting..10

one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on your new rifle. The .338 WM is one of the most popular cartridges here, and easy to reload for.

Don't forget to scroll down this page to "AccurateReloading.com" and look for the Reloading Pages. You will find lots of reloading data for it there.

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
<X-Ring>
posted
Congrates! I have a M77 tang safty and love the crap out of it. I finaly setted on 220 gr Barnes X's. Man does it fold up deer and elk. Some day I will make Alaska, and then its gonna kill some big stuff.
X-Ring AKA Scooter

------------------
Praise the Lord, and pass the ammunition!

If your living like there is no HELL, you better be right!