New
Find
Notify
Tools

Got my cow elk, as did my partner..
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Was a wild hunt, herd of 60 moving fast at 500 yards, I used a 30-06 with the 200 gr. Nosler Accubond, and down she went, Partner used my 338 with a 225 gr. Accubond, his cow stopped swayed a bit and fell over, needed a finiisher..both shoulder shots...I was amazed with the 30-06 as always, it kills as good as anything else as Ive come to expect..No chicken pot pies for this cowboy this winter..Biggest cow Ive ever seen 325 in the quarters, few bulls are that big..with her butt on the ground she is two feet taller than my 6-2"

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41986 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a successful hunt. tu2

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lots of good eating there.

Posts: 19443 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Way to go Ray! Good shooting. tu2

Posts: 2602 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Great shot Ray!

What kinda scope were you using?

What kinda powder under that 200 grain accubond?

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10096 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!

Guns and hunting

Posts: 1102 | Registered: 07 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good deal.
Walsenburg again?

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5962 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
500 yards + 200 grns + 30-06 = a shit load of hold over

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Nice going Ray. Good to see you're still getting out there. Smiler

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2804 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My Win pre 64 FWT loaded with 200 gr. Accubonds to 2700 plus a tad, shoots real flat, same as a 180 at sighted in 3" high at 100..4X Leupold, held on hair barely, dropped to mid body for a high heart shot...338 was a 225 accubond at 2800 sighted in the same apparently about the same trajectory with simulair results..400 yards is my normal take a shot on standing, but both shots were at elk making tracks on a side hill in the lower sagebrush..Internal damage was very simulair as far as we could tell, and results were the same. Trajectory was about the same as most of my my big game rifle, not read stats but actual sighting in at ranges from 100 to 400 yards..That showed from actual shooting as 3" high at 100, 4 inches high at 200 on at 250 to 275 depending on weight of bullet and 13 to 16 inches low at 400..Its always worked for me in the last 75 or so years...range on these elk were guesses as my range finder had dead batteries, but I think Im pretty good at judging distances in wide open country as I grew up and hunted mostly in that kind of country my whole life. I will range it next time Im out that way..the day before I saw 4 large bucks but no elk, one of those deer was a record class buck at 38 to 40 maybe more an had extremely high horns to go with it. the other 3 were abot 28 to 30 inch spreads, all of which I would normally have shot I suppose, Now if only I can draw a buck tag for next year..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41986 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Once again it is proved there’s no need for any magnum, particularly if you can shoot. Good on you, Ray. Had to cancel my Elk hunt, but with a freezer full of Buffalo and a big portion of last-years cow elk, it’s hardly a problem. Hope those steaks, roasts and burger last through your winter!

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My cow was the biggest cow elk Ive ever seen, big or bigger than big bulls. We took her to the ranchhouse and lifted her with the fork lift with her butt on the ground she was 2 ft. taller than I..I took a picture of her with my cell but have no idea how to post it..My only concern is her age, she was fat but it was all yellow stringy fat like a grass fed Herford and I toothed her at 10 or 12, so steaked out the backstraps and 10 lbs of breakfast sausage and the rest coarse and regular hamburger..Got my fingers crossed..She offered the best shot so I took the shot, I don't like shooting into the herd and she was above the mass. I could win a boone and crocket if they just had that class. Smiler The best part is they were making tracks to the fenceline and the high country and it was a wild and fun run that worked out, but like most elk hunts it was just dumb luck on my part, elk have made a fool of me many more times than not. I suspect she zigged when she should have zagged and ran into the bullet.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Best red meat I ever ate; enjoy.

Love those Accubonds.

Posts: 11389 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I suspect she zigged when she should have zagged and ran into the bullet.

Some times it is better to be lucky then good.

But on the other hand a shot never taken is a shot always missed.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
500 yards + 200 grns + 30-06 = a shit load of hold over

its damn near unbelievable…..bob

Posts: 40 | Location: lewistown Montana | Registered: 25 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
It’ll make some good meatloaf.
My wife came up with a recipe for elk meatloaf that’s so good if I put a dab of it on your forehead you'd knock your eyes out with your tongue trying to get it.

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1219 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What we have to remember is # 1 the state Idaho is in a constant state of zero atmosphere. # 2 were likely dealing with H-414 as propellant so anything is possible.

In an original thread this cow was shot "between 450 and 550 yards". Using the Nosler AB 200gr with a case full of 414 a 22" Win Fwt-Wt barrel could get to 2700fps "plus a little"

Zeroed with a + 3" POI at 100 yards your drop at 450 yards would be approx. 27" at 550 yards approx. 53". We also have 26" of drop between 450 and 550. If your holding just on the hair line even in Idaho you might be knocking wheels off instead of hitting one in the center of the chest.

Maybe, just maybe it was closer ? but a good shot non the less

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DArcy_Echols_Co:

In an original thread this cow was shot "between 450 and 550 yards". Using the Nosler AB 200gr with a case full of 414 a 22" Win Fwt-Wt barrel could get to 2700fps "plus a little"

Zeroed with a + 3" POI at 100 yards your drop at 450 yards would be approx. 27" at 550 yards approx. 53". We also have 26" of drop between 450 and 550. If your holding just on the hair line even in Idaho you might be knocking wheels off instead of hitting one in the center of the chest.

Maybe, just maybe it was closer ? but a good shot non the less

Uh, DArcy is correct!

Zeke

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Big Grin Where is the Labradar when you need it

Nice job on the elk. I've never tried more than 180gr in my .30-06.

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3325 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shooting at running elk at 500 is when I left the story. Totally lost interest.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess there was zero wind to figure in to the equation @550 yards at the running elk?

Posts: 712 | Location: Western USA | Registered: 08 September 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4WD:
I guess there was zero wind to figure in to the equation @550 yards at the running elk?

Not with Ray behind the trigger

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
quote:
Originally posted by 4WD:

Not with Ray behind the trigger

There's just no end to the things Ray Ray can and has done!

coffee

Interesting aside, the Nosler website shows 414 and 200gr Max at 2,560fps. In a 24" barrel.

Truly remarkable stuff ... again.

Whistling

one of us
posted Hide Post
So whats the point? I told you my load and a guessed distance, and told you my trajectory, and said my range finder was out of battery power and I would range it next time out. I also said the elk must have sigged when it should have zagged.

Based on that you whiners can kiss ole spot, surely you can find something else to do besides piss and moan over a post you didn't even read properly..I said when I saw them they were coming around a point, I waited to shoot when I thought they were 400 yards as they were angling down..read the post before spreding the bull shit..and I said I guessed at the range..

What was a fun post just turned into a shit sandwich by the holier than thou.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
posted Hide Post
When one has done a lot of hunting and shooting.

And Ray has done a lot of both

Using SWAG one can make shots that seem impossible for the average shooter.

I done it many times there's the critter mount gun, looks good, bang, dead critter.

People who don't have the experience and the skill to do such shots. Well never understand.

If I had to wait for the perfect standing 100 yard broad side shot with the perfect rest.

With the perfect gun and the perfect bullet.

I would most likely have killed 80% less game then I have.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:

I done it many times there's the critter mount gun, looks good, bang, dead critter.

People who don't have the experience and the skill to do such shots. Well never understand.

If I had to wait for the perfect standing 100 yard broad side shot with the perfect rest.

Yea well,

Most of us here on AR know the difference between being rained on and having our leg pissed on! Just sayin!

coffee

one of us
posted Hide Post
P dog,
your right about that, hell most hunters with any experience at all have made long shots with rifles that were not even sighted in or with a borrowed gun of doubtful heritage, but unless one has has hunted a lot then probably doesn't know that..
I don't even know any of these guys but D'Arcy and don'ty know him well, and they don't know me, I have no time for this internet flaming..let them be..I was just talking about a good hunting trip that turned out well and with a lot of excitement..I squatted down and started shooting, it worked..Maybe I flinched, I was out of breath, but I brought home 200 and some odd pounds of boned out meat today from te butcher...

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
posted Hide Post
It isn't a big problem getting 2700 with a 200 grain and H4831 or RL22 in a .30-06, or probably Hunter.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I know what you mean from shooting tens of thousands of air rifle pellets. 500 a week was common. That helped me develop the ability to shoot the odd running squirrel on a tree. I learned to time the shot to the jump etc.

Doing the same with a deer rifle is a different proposition for me. But I once got a running / jumping wallaby at full tilt chased by a dog - 70 meters in a gully and I timed the jump and nailed it.

On a group hunting trip we had a young 20+ year old guy on his first deer hunt. He was very good at 22 target shooting and rabbit shooting.

He nailed a running doe in thick bush - timing the jump like he did with rabbits.

We never count or remember the many missed shots in the same scenario! Wink

quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11020 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I watched my son shoot from the hip on purpose a flying grouse with is 10-22.

Who knows how many thousands and thousands of rounds he had shot by then.

I am glad he grew up before the Obama 22 rush.

One of Us
Picture of friarmeier
posted Hide Post
One of the reasons I don't post (or read) much on AR anymore is so many jackasses that have 1. Zero politeness, 2. Mere book-knowledge, and 3. No personal discernment of how to judge character.

Those of you who have been on AR long enough to know anything DO know that Ray is, hands-down, the most reliable witness to western shooting, elk & deer, plain ol' common sense, and true decency towards others.

Some of you would do well to read his posts carefully & take notes; I daresay you'd be better people for it!

friar

Our liberties we prize, and our rights we will maintain.

Posts: 1222 | Location: A place once called heaven | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
D'Arcys ballistic are correct I am sure, and apply on a bench rest on level ground. but when one has a rock for a rest, is out of breath and shooting at perhaps a 45 degree angle that will make ones trajectory shoot high. Those conditions shooting up the side of a mountain at long guessed at ranges will cetainly open a group up up to a foot or more at long ranges, I think I held on hair on a couple of those shots if for no other reason than I have shot high considerably more times than Ive shot low on game. Arizona gun writer explained that to me about my 3" sight in, and it made since to me, but Ive never changed as what I do has worked for me most of the time.

As to the flamers and rude behavior of the above posts, that's about all they ever contribute to AR. fortunately they are in the minority. As to those who just disagree I have no problem with that. I never claimed my elk to be a good shot, just lucky if one reads my post, I even gave the ballistics of my rifle etc. and basically said the elk ran into the bullet.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post

Ray's cow elk

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11020 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ray's cow elk

There is a lot of elk steak hanging there.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
woah.
that is a huuuge cow Elk.
I shot one a couple of years back that went about 400 lbs.
this one is bigger.

Posts: 4988 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Nice big cow. Congrats, good eats for sure.

~Ann

Posts: 19248 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Naki hunter tu2 She didn't have any tallow, just old stringly yellow fat, like a Mexican fighting bull!! I was concerned about meat quality, but tried the hamburger, steak, and breakfast sauage and its as good as anything Ive eaten!! whew!!

A deer in that condition would normally be nothing but dog food..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
posted Hide Post
As promised I was out on the ranch and we drove over and I had my range finder..What I found out was the elk came around the point and that was 575 yards, I never called it a 540 yard shot and they were running and closing the distance and I figured the shot was 400 yards and Ive shot more than a few elk at 300 to 400 yards, but then they came down at a angle as they do the elk yard eating dance across the mountain and that shortened the range every step by a good deal. I put the Range finder on a white rock close to the grease spot from the gut pile, long gone and according to it the killing shot was 379 to 384 yards, best I could hold it using a rest..anything else one could come up with is shooter error..I was having to lead and try to hold on back line hair, best I recall, and taking in the depth of that big ole girl..Thats my story and Im sticking to it! nor do I really care one way or the other, under the circumstances..I wouldn't have it any other way...I have hunted enough that I would never question a shot someone made because I know there are too many circumstances involved in long range shots with hunting rifles. Those that refute are just internet jockeys with little or no experience..and an inability absorb what they read..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
I caught a Smallmouth Bass so big, the PICTURE weighed 12 pounds

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1385 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow! What a hog, er, I mean cow.

Congrats Ray!

If that’s more than you can eat, I’ve got a bottle of wine I could bring... Big Grin

Posts: 2602 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote