Find
Notify
Tools

Free Range 6x7 Hill Country Red Stag
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted
Ella and I took this stag this morning in Edwards County at our lease. He was on the side of a hill grazing at dawn. We watched him for about an 45 minutes before we decided to take him. He was quartering at 250 yards and heading back into the upper treeline after his morning snack. Ella was using her 7mm-08 and me my 8x57.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
That's fantastic! Congrats!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is just great!

Thanks for sharing,

Tom

Posts: 341 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 21 November 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
what a bull! congratulations!!

mario

Posts: 1421 | Location: northern italy | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats to the both of you.I had no idea you had free ranging Red Deer in Texas. Big Grin

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Excellent stag!

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Great job!

Tell the young lady congratulations.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
Absolutely outstanding!
beer

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
Absolutely outstanding!
beer

+1 on that.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
And I used my daughter's Christmas present to field dress the deer on the spot - a simple Rapala birch handled knife, nothing fancy. My go to knife I use for cleaning animals is an Old Timer 3 blade knife.

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Here are some transport pics - from the field and then to the taxidermist. Gives a better sense of the crowns:

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to you and your daughter, those are memories no one can take from either of you.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by graybird:
That's fantastic! Congrats!

As the Scots say. "Brilliant!" Congratulations.

Posts: 150 | Location: Blanco Co., TX | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
You could sell a lot of hunting leases with your photos. Nice job.

Congrats to you and your family!

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Here's the exact location where it was shot and went 10 feet before going down.

Edwards County Location

One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
Congrats to dad and daughter both!

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1220 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of don444
posted Hide Post
Very Good! tu2

Posts: 551 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 27 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great job!

One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
Judging solely by the photos, I'd say that red deer had an elk lurking in the woodpile somewhere back in its ancestry.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Million Congrats.

Posts: 1024 | Location: Brooksville, FL. | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Austin Hunter:
quote:
Originally posted by billrquimby:
Judging solely by the photos, I'd say that red deer had an elk lurking in the woodpile somewhere back in its ancestry.

Bill Quimby

This is pretty consistent for the red deer in Texas. I took one west of Ft Worth in 2008 that was very similar. The elk are different color and larger. Here's a pic of an elk my oldest took in July 2012 on the same ranch. It was easily 900 pounds. But yeah, there is probably some elk in the red deer in Texas, but the red deer have the distinct crowns, are smaller, and colored different.

Here are some elk in velvet. Different color, large, different antler configuration:

One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
Austin Hunter:

I didn't mean to denigrate your red deer, and I congratulate you on taking it free-range. It's just that the red deer I shot in New Zealand and Spain did not have the long hair on their necks that yours wears.

A quick Google search showed red deer males have long neck hair in the winter, and I shot mine during autumn months when they had no "manes."

Incidentally, not all red stags have crowns and a few elk have crowns.

My Spanish red deer was a 7x7 with elk-like antlers. I've not shot a bull elk with crowns, but I have seen some on the hoof and in the backs of trucks in Arizona.

Again, congratulations on taking a fine trophy.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billrquimby:
Austin Hunter:

I didn't mean to denigrate your red deer, and I congratulate you on taking it free-range. It's just that the red deer I shot in New Zealand and Spain did not have the long hair on their necks that yours wears.

A quick Google search showed red deer males have long neck hair in the winter, and I shot mine during autumn months when they had no "manes."

Incidentally, not all red stags have crowns and a few elk have crowns.

My Spanish red deer was a 7x7 with elk-like antlers. I've not shot a bull elk with crowns, but I have seen some on the hoof and in the backs of trucks in Arizona.

Again, congratulations on taking a fine trophy.

Bill Quimby

No offense taken! It depends on the area and gene pool. We hunted an estate in Canada in fall of 2012 that had Red Stag and Elk both on it, but still different enough. My oldest took a fine red stag - 7x8 - with the same rifle we used for this one.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gorgeous stag. I clearly have been hanging around the wrong parts of Texas!

Posts: 111 | Location: Llano Estacado | Registered: 12 January 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
tu2 congrats to the huntress!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote