Find
Notify
Tools

Spring Bear pictures
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted
Well, I finally got around to getting this done. Everyone had shots at bears in New Brunswick but for some reason, most bears were dry sows....very few boars coming around. However, the hides were as good as the guides have seen in years. I shot mine on a Thursday. Everyone else in my group got a bear. My friend, Les, got his first bear ever with his bow and made a perfect centered heart shot. (He also got the biggest bear there).

I got this sow with my 30.06, 180 Scirocco at 66 yards. Got the kill on video too. Dumped the bear on the spot.

We drove back 24 hours to Ohio, arrived early Sunday morning. Then hours later, I left the Dayton airport off to Alberta. I only took my bow with me to AB and borrowed the guide's 338 WM. I brought factory ammo: 225 Winchester Accubonds. On June first, I watched 2 bears within 3 minutes of getting in the stand. From the activity, it seemed like a boar was courting a sow, but now and then it really looked like a boar trying to rid his area of a smaller boar...I couldn't tell since there was no actual breeding going on and lots of fighting. Anyway, I shot both of them in about 4 seconds. Dumped both. Shots were no more than 15 yards. The big guy was 7'2" nose to tail and the guide/outfitter estimated his weight at ~ 500+ pounds. It was a very fat bear. We struggled to roll him in the trailer. The smaller bear ~ 200 pounds did turn out to be a sow in heat...this was visually apparent. Odd though with the vicious fighting and how the big one kept running the small one off. (But I've never seen bears courting either).

This is one reason I go to Alberta. This next bear is 8'2" and was estimated to weigh around 600lbs. It was killed by another guy in camp last year. He killed this bear from the same stand where I killed mine this year.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
Picture of SkyJacker
posted Hide Post
Great pics. Congrats. You should upload the video on the net and provide a link. It would be fun to watch it.

Posts: 177 | Location: Savannah, GA | Registered: 13 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
I don't know how. I've got several videos of bear, antelope, mulie and whitetail kills. Bow, rifle, and ML.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice bears. Two at the same time.... Awsome.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
the same night about 10 miles down the road another guy in camp got a boar the same length but about 100 pounds less. We couldn't believe it.

One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
Nice boar, too bad about the sow.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1824 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
I agree. I would really rather do without shooting a sow, but the way they were acting I ultimately chalked it up as a subordinate boar. Maybe she just wasn't ready to stand for him and it pissed him off. The way he attacked her sure fooled me.

One of Us
Picture of Magnum61
posted Hide Post
Nice Pictures Doc.

Seems like that Scirocco did what you asked!

thumb

-Everybody has a dream hunt, mine just happens to be for a Moose.-

-The 30-06 is like a perfect steak next to a campfire, a .300 Win Mag is the same but with mushrooms and a baked potato-

Posts: 277 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 08 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Magnum61:

Seems like that Scirocco did what you asked!

yea, twice now on 2 bears. Great bullet. Exited both times at close range.

one of us
Picture of NBHunter
posted Hide Post
Nice bears. I like how the NB bear has a completely black face. I've been trying for a few years to get a completely black bear (no brown on snout) but have yet to see one. My bear this spring also turned out to be a dry sow. Maybe it's some kind of cycle they go through.

Nice job.

---------------------------------

It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it

Posts: 741 | Location: NB Canada | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
Well yes it is a cycle they go through....they either got rid of cubs and are looking to be bred again or they haven't been bred yet.

A boar and a sow will not always be huggy kissy. They do act like bears a lot while they are courting. In June it should be a dead give away (since it is mating season) that when you see two bears together, one big obvious boar and another, that it is a boar andd sow.

Also, the overall build and especially the facial characteristics can tell you the difference between the two.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1824 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Josh K.
posted Hide Post
Nice Doc cheers

Posts: 362 | Location: St.Louis Mo | Registered: 15 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doc,
You had a good hunt! I've never hunted black bear but hopefully in the next year or two. If it's ok..I may touch base with you before I book a hunt.
I'm surprised that you dropped the big bear with one shot....he's big!!
Congrats,
Terry

Sendero300>>>===TerryP

Posts: 489 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 25 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Doc; Congratulations on your hunt! Great photos too.

Regards, D. Nelson