Find
Notify
Tools

Big Mule Deer - Discounted
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted
My rancher in New Mexico (near Ft. Sumner) has a conflict with his Mule Deer season that will not allow him to spend as much time as he needs guiding Mule Deer hunters on his ranch. So, he is offering an opportunity to let hunters go self guided. There will be accommodations provided for $20/night and there will be some support for the hunter like tips on where to hunt, an explanation of the ranch and its boundaries, but it is essentially unguided. The ranch is 50,000 acres.

He has some super Mulies here. The hunting is not easy. However a hunter with patience who is willing to work hard could come out of here with a real dandy deer!

He is offering a self guided hunt for $1500 + New Mexico tax ($92) + license ($205). Nov 6-10

ANyone interested, give me a call or e-mail and I will put you in touch with the rancher.

This guy did not want his picture on the internet, so we agreeed to blur his face. He shot this deer on an unguided hunt where he bought a tresspass fee from the outfitter. He acctually shot this deer on bordering public land. I think he knew this deer was there.
 -

[ 08-16-2002, 19:41: Message edited by: Buffalobwana ]

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
The outfitter does not want anything under 23" shot. He is going to leave it to the hunter to honor this.

There are 30" Mulies here, no doubt. They are tough to kill however.

I would anticipate about a 35% chance at shooting a good deer here on an unguided hunt. This is for a reasonable hunter who will hunt hard.

one of us
Picture of JeffP
posted Hide Post
Sir
How many other people will also have access to
the ranch at the same time?
Where is Ft Sumner,not on my map?
Jeff

Posts: 2482 | Location: Alaska....At heart | Registered: 17 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
JeffP,

There will not be very many people hunting here at all. The landowner limits his permits to 16 for the entire season, so most of these permits are taken by the guided hunters who will be here during the second season.

I seriously doubt we will sell all of the permits this year.

Bottom line is if a guy wanted to do this unguided hunt, there would be very few others on the ranch at the same time.

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Oops, I found a point of confusion in my first post.

quote:
Originally posted by Buffalobwana:
My rancher in New Mexico (near Ft. Sumner) has a conflict with his Mule Deer season that will not allow him to spend as much time as he needs guiding Mule Deer hunters on his ranch. So, he is offering an opportunity to let hunters go self guided.

There are two seasons. The first season is the time when the self guided hunters can go to the ranch. There will not be any other guided hunters on the ranch at this time.

The rancher will be there to lend "support" pointers, tips, showing the boundaries etc. We will not throw you out there and leave you wondering where to go or how to hunt this land.

I hesitate to call it semi -guided, because everyone has a different idea of what that is.