New
Find
Notify
Tools

Grand Slam Question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
How many Rams of Stone, Bighorn, Desert and Dall Sheep are annually in North America hunted ?

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn good question.

Maybe someone associated with Wild Sheep Foundation could answer that question.

I'm assuming you want totals including resident, nonresident and alien?

I'll poke around and see what I can find out.

Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bet less than 300 Rams every year are taken.
Mayby someone can correct me

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mboga biga bwana:

Way, way off. There are more than 300 desert sheep killed just in NV, NM, CA & AZ, and in AK, they likely kill 800-1000 Dall sheep per year. And the number of RM sheep killled in the many states & provinces where they are fair game is much higher yet.

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Outdoor Writer:
quote:

Way, way off. There are more than 300 desert sheep killed just in NV, NM, CA & AZ, and in AK, they likely kill 800-1000 Dall sheep per year. And the number of RM sheep killled in the many states & provinces where they are fair game is much higher yet.

Thanks for the Clarification

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
quote:

Here are snippets from a sheep foundation document. Although it's dated 2020, the current harvest is likely about the same or higher. Looks like the grand total is about 3,000 per year

Current estimates suggest 10,000-12,000 Stone’s sheep in northern BC and southern YT, and approximately 3,000 Fannin sheep (hybrid between Dall’s and Stone’s sheep) in southern YT. Annual Stone’s sheep harvest averages approximately 300 rams/year

Estimates suggest there are 88,000-100,000 Dall’s sheep in Alaska, Yukon Territory, Northwest Territories and northern British Columbia, with an annual ram harvest of approximately 1,200/year.

Estimates suggest there are 49,000 Rocky Mountain bighorn sheep in 14 U.S. states (ND, SD, NE, MT, WY, CO, NM, AZ, UT, ID, NV, WA, OR, CA) and 2 Canadian provinces (AB, BC). Annual harvest averages approximately 1,000 rams/year.

Estimates suggest there are 39,000 desert bighorn sheep in 7 U.S. states (AZ, CA, CO, NV, NM, TX, UT) and 6 states in Mexico (Baja California, Baja California Sur, Chihuahua, Coahuila, Nuevo Leon, Sonora). Annual harvest averages approximately 500 rams/year

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Thanks for those numbers. It helps to put things into a total and full perspective. I had two friends recently kill their desert bighorns here in Nevada. One was 158 and change, and the other was scored at 181, but the State of Nevada is known for low scoring by their NDOW measurers. We think that the second sheep was closer to 185, but both beautiful sheep nonetheless!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Outdoor Writer:
quote:

Here are snippets from a sheep foundation document. Although it's dated 2020, the current harvest is likely about the same or higher. Looks like the grand total is about 3,000 per year

Current estimates suggest 10,000-12,000 Stone’s sheep in northern BC and southern YT, and approximately 3,000 Fannin sheep (hybrid between Dall’s and Stone’s sheep) in southern YT. Annual Stone’s sheep harvest averages approximately 300 rams/year

Estimates suggest there are 88,000-100,000 Dall’s sheep in Alaska, Yukon Territory, Northwest Territories and northern British Columbia, with an annual ram harvest of approximately 1,200/year.

Estimates suggest there are 49,000 Rocky Mountain bighorn sheep in 14 U.S. states (ND, SD, NE, MT, WY, CO, NM, AZ, UT, ID, NV, WA, OR, CA) and 2 Canadian provinces (AB, BC). Annual harvest averages approximately 1,000 rams/year.

Estimates suggest there are 39,000 desert bighorn sheep in 7 U.S. states (AZ, CA, CO, NV, NM, TX, UT) and 6 states in Mexico (Baja California, Baja California Sur, Chihuahua, Coahuila, Nuevo Leon, Sonora). Annual harvest averages approximately 500 rams/year

WOW
Very Impressive Numbers

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas