New
Find
Notify
Tools

Antelope Hunt info
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am looking for a Father/son antelope hunt in 2014. Just found out that my son, who is a pilot in the AF will be stationed in the US for the next three years (well as certain as you can be with the military) A complication - he could be deployed on short notice.

Goal is fair chase hunt, not looking for a B&C trophy. Not looking for the first class accommodations or the wine/dine/cigar routine.
Just a good chance a decent antelope and some quality time with my son in the field.

From my limited research it looks like WY has plenty of Antelope is the most accommodating of the western states for a non resident to hunt.

I have hunted antelope before. We tried MT a couple of years ago and did not get drawn for a tag.

Any suggestions for areas, outfitters or booking agents is appreciated. Does not have to be in WY but cost is a definite consideration.

Posts: 449 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 13 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
Send a PM to Aaron Neilson. He's got some hunts. You probably won't kill a "book" goat but you'll have a damn good time, have a chance at a good antelope and its a pretty inexpensive hunt

Posts: 2092 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are so many great areas in Wyoming. The harsh winter a year ago had little impact on the eastern side and there are plenty of tags. We look for walk-in areas or areas with a checkerboard of public and private. Then we use a gps to make sure we don't trespass. We've always killed nice bucks and never needed to pay a trespass fee.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buy a PP for each of you for Wyoming between 7/1/and 9/30 this summer. The cost for antelope is $30. Then apply for unit 7 or 27 to the south of Gillette in 2014. Both have plenty of public land and/or walkin areas to do DIY hunts. You can camp or stay in a motel in Newcastle to the east if you draw 7. If you decide on unit 27, which is much bigger, it's best to camp out because it's quite a ways to the nearest motel in Wright over on highway 59 that is it's western boundary. Regardless of where you go, skip the first week and you'll have most areas almost to yourselves after the crowds leave. I have hunted Wyoming almost every year since 1992 and took an 80" goat last October, all DIY. Most of the time I deer hunt out there and help friends with their elk hunts.

one of us
Picture of BigB
posted Hide Post
Contact Steve Leforge who posts here he will get you nice antelope.

www.skymountainoutfitters.com

BigB

Posts: 1401 | Location: Northwest Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got some tags in Central New Mexico. If interested, pm me.

Pancho
LTC, USA, RET

"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." Clint Eastwood

Give me Liberty or give me Corona.

Posts: 935 | Location: Roswell, NM | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tom has a group hunt going. He is a member of Accurate REloading, as is Steve Leforge. Both great guys! tu2

Tom Kessel
Hiland Outfitters, LLC (BG-082)
Hiland, Wyoming
www.hilandoutfitters.com

One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
There are some good suggestions here. If you want to go DIY, I've sent you a PM with a suggestion that has always worked great for us.

Posts: 3877 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replies and PMs. A wealth of information. Many options to consider now. Some I had not thought of.

Posts: 449 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 13 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigB:
Contact Steve Leforge who posts here he will get you nice antelope.

www.skymountainoutfitters.com

BigB

Agreed.

Posts: 178 | Location: New York | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Topgun 30-06:
Buy a PP for each of you for Wyoming between 7/1/and 9/30 this summer. The cost for antelope is $30. Then apply for unit 7 or 27 to the south of Gillette in 2014. Both have plenty of public land and/or walkin areas to do DIY hunts. You can camp or stay in a motel in Newcastle to the east if you draw 7. If you decide on unit 27, which is much bigger, it's best to camp out because it's quite a ways to the nearest motel in Wright over on highway 59 that is it's western boundary. Regardless of where you go, skip the first week and you'll have most areas almost to yourselves after the crowds leave. I have hunted Wyoming almost every year since 1992 and took an 80" goat last October, all DIY. Most of the time I deer hunt out there and help friends with their elk hunts.

It can be done but Gillette is not known for big antelope,(genetics) lots of antelope though and you could always luck out and FI d a decent one. In addition most of the area is controlled by mining operations or private ranches
If you are looking for a big goat central Wyoming or Douglas - Torrington is your best bet

Posts: 3617 | Location: Verdi Nevada | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With Quote