New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where to hunt elk in Colorado
 Login/Join

<Pygmy>
posted
Next year I plan to use my 8 preference points for a muzzleloader hunt for bull elk in Colorado...

I'm planning to talkwith the DOW people and get thier input, but hopefully I can get some firsthand info also..

If you had 8 points to burn in Colorado and wanted to do an unguided hunt for bull elk, which unit(s) would you apply in..??....

<Guy>
posted
Unit 76 in the Weminuche (sp) Wilderness. Eight points should get you a tag. You'll need horses to get into the best places. If your in good shape, you could backpack in.

<Pygmy>
posted
Thanks for the info, Guy... [Smile] .....

one of us
posted Hide Post
With 8 points you should be able to draw almost anywhere in Colorado for ML! Personally I like the NW corner.
Consider Garth Carter Hunter Services for more info.
Good Luck
Leif

Posts: 359 | Location: 40N,104W | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
<Pygmy>
posted
Thanks, Lief....I was hoping I could draw pretty much wherever I want...

I don't have a LOT of money to spend (retired) and I don't have access to horses or mules, but would be willing to pay a reasonable fee to be packed into a good area AND have my animal packed out..I will have one hunting partner who is younger and stronger than I am....I've had a number of years experience hunting elk plus five unguided, do-it yourself hunts in Alaska for moose and caribou, so I have a pretty realistic idea of what it takes to get an elk out once it is down...

<257 AI>
posted
I don't know off the top of my head how many points it takes but if you can get a tag for area 2 or 201 you will not be disappointed. I've spent quite a bit of time in area 2 and in 1 day we found sheds from elk ranging from spikes (5 of them) to several 5 and 6 pointers. These are both areas noted for their huge bulls. There are also wild horses which are cool to see. I'm leaving in the morning for area 2 to hunt deer but if you shoot me an email I can give you more details when I get back such as how many points it takes, success rate, etc. I think but don't quote me on this, that for bullls area 2 has a success rate in the high 90 percentile which is pretty damn good.