Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shot Placement on Elk?
 Login/Join

posted
Where do you folks like to place a bullet when hunting elk? Behind the shoulder or thru the shoulders? Should I aim for the hip if thats what the bull presents if is head is behind the trees?

JoelM

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Premium bullet in the shoulders, Soft bullet, behind the shoulders, arrow, behind the shoulders.

HIP????

Please do not ever shoot an elk in the hip. Wait for a good clean kill shot in the lung area...just my philosophy.

Watch out though about shooting ANY animal in the shoulders and posting on AR that you did so. There are other readers that denounce those hunters for doing so because it ruins some meat. Just giving you a heads up.

I have no problem making that claim and do not feel like I owe ANYONE an explanation for taking an animal in the shoulders. But, if you are thin skinned and you pop one there in the shoulders, don't post it. Just be happy.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ditto Doc's answer. I like mid to high shoulder shots in general season areas because the animals don't run. A perfect lung shot is great on private land where you are 100% positive of your own recovery. One of my hunters this year hit slightly low with a 300 Weatherby on a 6 pt bull, and exploded the ball of the humerous on the end, and never made it into the chest cavity with a 180 Grand Slam. I believe in good bullets and great penetration.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
Don't get too high, and avoid the neck. Remember "more is better", (If too much is just right, more is better). Chasing them up and down rough country is no fun, and neither is packing them out of deep holes.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Matt: Don't you know it. Took 6 of us 6 hours to pack this big bodied bull out of a hell hole with packframes.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Right behind the shoulders has always worked for me.Now and then the shoulders get hit but the results are the same except for a little more meat damage.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
just behind the shoulder with gun big enough and bullet tough enough to break shoulder if you get too far forward.. noone is a perfect shot.. dave

Posts: 249 | Location: central montana | Registered: 17 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What everybody else said,with pictures!
http://www.bowhunting.net/NAspecies/elk2.html

Posts: 236 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 16 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of WyoJoe
posted Hide Post
Quote:

....I have no problem making that claim and do not feel like I owe ANYONE an explanation for taking an animal in the shoulders....

Why in the world wouldn't someone put one through the shoulder? I prefer behind the shoulder but guess what. If a shoulder is what is presented I'll take the shot and have steaks on the table.

Posts: 1172 | Location: Cheyenne, WY | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like to hit at least one shoulder, either going in or coming out. If you put at least one shoulder out of action he will not go far. I like to use big bullets going fast that will make two holes. Good shooting.

Posts: 2354 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"he won't go far" with one shoulder broken id BS of mythological proportions. Why waste the energy breaking bone and dense meat when it could be doing far more good in the lungs and heart? Unlike the others I feel a neck shot is excellent if you know where to hit it. Other than that behind the shoulder half way up.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

"....I have no problem making that claim and do not feel like I owe ANYONE an explanation for taking an animal in the shoulders...."

Quote:

".... Why in the world wouldn't someone put one through the shoulder? I prefer behind the shoulder but guess what. If a shoulder is what is presented I'll take the shot and have steaks on the table...."

I favor both these statements.

=====================

IMO, the "heart/lungs" is the target. What you go thru to get to it depends on the shot opportunity and the rifle you are carrying. Classic "whitetail pose"? Sure, right behind (maybe slightly intruding on) the shoulder. About any rifle works on this one assuming the hunter/bullet doesn't "stray".

If less than the classic "whitetail pose" then visualize the path to the heart lung area, determine what the cartridge's bullet is going to have to plow/break thru and then ask yourself:

(1) Am I up to this shot? (because of the additional skill required)

AND

(2) Is my rifle's cartridge chambering and its bullet up to this shot? (because it will require more penetration and power)

If there is no doubt in your mind and the answer to both is yes, then give it your best shot! If not, then pass on the shot and ponder what might have been with more practice and/or a different rifle.

Posts: 289 | Location: Denver, Colorado | Registered: 16 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting that link!!!! That is one of the best shot placement/elk info piecesw of information I have seen on here!!!

Posts: 32 | Location: between Alzada and Yaak | Registered: 24 August 2003Reply With Quote