Find
Notify
Tools

What Did You Draw In Montana?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted
Got the usual Antelope tag. Also drew a Gardiner Late Season Tag (314-23)... either sex goes Nov 20 - Dec 14... yippee!

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Didn't draw my lope tag but did draw elk/deer. I'll be up to try my luck in OCt. [Big Grin]

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This will be the first time in 10years or so I am not backpack hunting Black Bear in north west Montana. It is one of my favorite places. The only consolation is that I will be hunting TWO Bears on John the Greeks Bear hunt in Idaho. [Big Grin]

But I still like Montana. [Wink]

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Drew a mule deer tag for area 530 which is mostly private with very little access and it holds some real trophy mule deer and elk. NOT complaining but the ELK tag for that area was what I REALLY wanted.

FN in MT

Posts: 950 | Location: Cascade, Montana USA | Registered: 11 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Musselshell country, huh Frank? Neat!

one of us
posted Hide Post
My brother drew an either sex tag for gardiner's late season as well, Brad....He's only 13 years old!!!!!! He doesn't even know how special it is! Hopefully we'll get him on a bruiser. His tag runs from Jan 2nd thru Feb 9th, or something like that. He also got an antelope tag.

As for me, I drew either sex elk for 500. 500-20 I believe. First time I've ever drawn for an either sex tag, and I couldn't be more excited. Antelope as well.

My dad got antelope, but unfortunately no elk tag. But he's already got a 6 point rack hanging on the wall.

On a side note, I picked up a pre-64 30'06 from about 1940 complete with Redfield peep sight yesterday. I'm pretty excited about it!!!!!! Congrats on your drawing, buddy...you're one lucky sonofagun. Stop in the store sometime soon if you get the chance, I already had the good fortune of meeting Mark Dobrenski, and I'm looking forward to meeting you as well.

[ 08-24-2003, 10:08: Message edited by: the444shooter ]

Posts: 264 | Location: Big Sky Country, MT | Registered: 12 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
444Shooter

Apparently you are a little mis-informed about your either-or tag. You are not allowed to take an elk of either sex. It merely gives you the opportunity to choose between sex or elk hunting during the big game season- Its correct name is "either sex or elk". This tag was brought out to appease hunters wives who complained that their husbands were gone all of the month of November.
Check with the local FWP office for the details.

Posts: 32 | Location: between Alzada and Yaak | Registered: 24 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brad,

I'm hunting the N-Bar Ranch on Flat Willow Creek! Saw several very good muleys last year any of which would be a wallhanger. I figured its about time I finally shoot a trophy mule deer.
Sure wish I'd have gotten the elk tag for the N-Bar though! Maybe next year.

FN in MT

Posts: 950 | Location: Cascade, Montana USA | Registered: 11 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
forgot to check eye color and hair color......they threw my application out.......not that I'm bald, but what should you check if you don't have hair.......... [Wink]

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bod--You got me going on that one! Funny thing though is that my wife cooks all elk season in a wilderness elk outfitter's camp so...its more like neither/or. I did however draw my fallback second choice cow tag for the wilderness district where she works, so if I can slip away from work for a week or so I may be able to come up with both! Mulie permit in the Garnets but no antelope tag this year. Typical mediocre luck of the draw.

Posts: 767 | Location: Seeley Lake Montana | Registered: 17 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Antelope in area 670. Haven't been down for a couple years and I'm looking forward to it!

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snowman:
Antelope in area 670. Haven't been down for a couple years and I'm looking forward to it!

We drew antelope in area 690; does anyone know anything about the area? I haven't been there yet.
We also got deer A tags, not sure where we'll use them yet.

Tom

Posts: 14628 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I drew a BIG FAT 0! But it was my own fault....Would you belive I forgot to sign my application. I do have my Outfitter Sponsored Combo license though.

Posts: 530 | Location: Kulpmont, PA | Registered: 31 December 2000Reply With Quote
<Rimrock>
posted
Just the usual 700's antelope.
I was really hoping my kid would draw that Flying D youth bull tag. He's 14, so this was his last chance at that. Guess he used up his quota of luck with the ewe bighorn tag. Oh, well...
He'd also put in for a Bridgers muley tag. We've repeatedly seen one buck that will go around 180, I'd say, but it doesn't look like he will for us ;-). And I struck out again on my Gardiner late bull tag. Oh, well. The wolves have eaten 'em all anyway, you know ;-). Or so I've heard.
So I guess we'll just have to find our bulls during the general season. Went scouting to that end today. It was a hot proposition, and we were having trouble deciding whether lolling about a beach someplace evaluating swimsuits would have been more fun. And hey, is it just me, or are there an abundance of hot women around Bozeman anymore? No matter, I'm happily married, and none of 'em look twice at me anyway, but I'm finding it hard not to gawk.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bod...
Elk hunting over sex any day!

Rimrock...
Just get 'er done during regular season. We've all witnessed in the past what you and your boy can do to a nice bull elk [Wink] Good luck!!!! Oh and yes, there are always attractive women around Bozeman, but this year just kinda seems like a bumper crop!!!! Just don't gawk too long...we all know what happened to David when he looked at Bathsheba on the roof [Wink] hahahaha!

Posts: 264 | Location: Big Sky Country, MT | Registered: 12 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rimrock:

And hey, is it just me, or are there an abundance of hot women around Bozeman anymore? No matter, I'm happily married, and none of 'em look twice at me anyway, but I'm finding it hard not to gawk.

I dunno. Montana seems to have a lot of women that stand up straight, look a stranger in the eye and smile just to make people feel a little better. Makes me feel better, anyway.

Posts: 14628 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I drew a cow elk tag in area 327. Just talked to a friend that lives down there, and he says that with the forest fires, there is either one or two trees left in that district, he can't be absolutely sure which because of the smoke.
Fortunately, I was in a Bozeman gun store the other day and talking to a guy that had a brace on his leg. He sold me a caribou tag on Turtners ranch for just $30, so my season is salvaged. I was a little skeptical because it was a hand written tag, but he assured me it was legitimate.

Posts: 32 | Location: between Alzada and Yaak | Registered: 24 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mbrook
posted Hide Post
Drew my antelope tag but no muley tag as I was hoping for.

Posts: 524 | Location: SE MIchigan | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Drew an antelope tag and a deer B tag. Oh yeah. ho-hum. happy happy joy-joy. No bighorn sheep, moose, goat, special elk, deer, etc. Will just have to make due I guess. Horn growth sucks this year. [Wink]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Tom p Area 690 should have a ton of antelope in it. Suggest you try and get there a couple days before season and do a little scouting and getting permission. Unless you are real fussy you should have no trouble finding a good buck.

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snowman:
Tom p Area 690 should have a ton of antelope in it. Suggest you try and get there a couple days before season and do a little scouting and getting permission. Unless you are real fussy you should have no trouble finding a good buck.

Thanks. It looks like the bulk of the BLM land is in the southern part of 690 near the Missouri River; the maps don't show much in the way of roads so we'll probably be walking a lot.

Tom

one of us
posted Hide Post
I had the 690 tag last year. I made the mistake of going down late in the season and, though I saw antelope, they had all figured out what was safe and what wasn't. Three days of hard hunting and I got skunked. The BLM portion of the district, Cow Cr. etc., isn't what it once was. Too much pressure. Lots of goats on private south of Chinook and the Block program has enrolled many ranches but most still require that you obtain signed permission. Lots of good mulies out there and the coyote calling is fantastic. Don't get caught down in the breaks doring a rain/snow storm. Good Luck!!

Posts: 767 | Location: Seeley Lake Montana | Registered: 17 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
bodunchar--great to hear you got that caribou tag--that should be a good hunt-you should of gotten one of the tags for canis lupis as well-they can hand write them also.

Hey when you get a minute please e-mail me I need to get a bit of info about your upcoming bou hunt out at Uncle Ted's......

doberdogg@aol.com

Thanks

"GET TO THE HILL"

Dog

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SKelly
posted Hide Post
Got my pronghorn tag for 513, but no special bull tag, bummer again.

Posts: 31 | Location: Plains,MT | Registered: 16 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
3 outa 3. Cow elk- Oct 26th to Jan 1st. District 291-00. Mulie doe, District 400-00. Mule buck permit 291-50. Over the counter whitetail doe Dist.400 is on the list as well to buy along with the surplus tags that come out in unit 406 later this month. Unlimited Buffalo tags for $500 at Two Medicine Bison Ranch as well. I got some huntin' ta do. [Big Grin]

Posts: 73 | Location: North Central / Montana | Registered: 25 April 2002Reply With Quote