New
Find
Notify
Tools

Last year's speed goat
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Here are a few pics from last year's antelope hunt. This is my first antelope, and although he isn't huge, he is still a nice goat.

Only measurement I took was main length...came out to 12".

Rifle is a Model 70 Laminate in 300WSM. Load was 150 gr. Hornady SST. Shot was about 200 yards,(might not be correct...I am trying to remember!) quartering away and I was slightly above. Bullet entered about the second to last rib on left side and exited just behind and above the "elbow" on the right.

I passed on five bucks prior to taking this one. I made a good "stalk" on him, but he bedded down for almost an hour with me watching him, so I just waited for him to get up. I wasn't in any big hurry!

Like I said, he aint big, but he was shaped just right, so I was pleased. I wanted my first goat to be that perfect heart shape, and that is what I got.

-

-

Posts: 426 | Location: Alpine, WY | Registered: 01 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice goat. Where did you do your hunting?

Posts: 898 | Location: Southlake, Tx | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Western Wyoming

Posts: 426 | Location: Alpine, WY | Registered: 01 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've hunted the area immediately south-west of Rawlins. Just wondering what area that one came from...the terrain looks similar.

Posts: 898 | Location: Southlake, Tx | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"Near" Big Piney...well west of Rawlins

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Trap, that's a nice 1st goat. It's more about the hunt than the animal. My 1st goat was a long stalk & a long wait on a bedded buck. We got him up w/ the old "wave the white bandana" trick. It worked great, goat up, one shot, goat down. I love hunting them. I am hoping to get drawn for Montana this fall.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, that is a nice antelope. It has real nice shape and symmetry, I can see why you shot it.

Those goats are sure fun to hunt. I have hunted them in Wyoming several times. Last fall my buddy and I hunted just due south of Rawlins and both of us collected nice bucks around 14 inches in length. Both had very good mass and we had a great hunt. Unfortunately, the outfitter has lost the lease on that property, but he is looking for a new lease.

Again, nice antelope !

R F

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Trapdoor: Congratulations on the fine trophy! I harvested my first Antelope in 1969. Most years since then I have taken an Antelope in both Montana and Wyoming. I really enjoy the pursuit of these fine Game Animals! I have yet to find out if I was drawn for Antelope again this year. I really hope I can get out on the prairie's again this fall!
Its not quite clear to me what make Rifle you are using! It looks like a Remington 700 Classic with a laminated stock and a Leupold scope? Fill me in on that particular please.
Way to go on the clean harvest of the prairie speedster! Are you getting out again for them this year?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks all for the kind words!

VarmintGuy,
The rifle is a Winchester Model 70 Laminate in 300WSM with a Leupold Vari-X III 4.5-14. Very nice rig and feels very good. It is similar in appearance to the Remington Classic. The load I was shooting was a Hornady 150 SST over Varget. The load is a great shooting load, but I believe the rifle need a proper bedding to shoot that good consistantly. It averages 3/4", with many groups well below that, but enough that are over 3/4" to bring the average up! Unfortunately, the word on the SST being too similar to the Ballistic Tip didn't come out until after I had a good load, and I want to hunt elk with this rifle too, so I am looking at a tougher bullet...the partition. I haven't gotten to work with the partition too much yet, as the wind or work is "just too hard". Season is fast approaching, so I better get to it, wind and work be damned!

Unfortunately, I screwed up and didn't get my tag application in on time....a case of having the wronge deadline in my head. Big time mess up....so I will not be hunting speed goats this year. BOO!