THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Re: 165 gr. Nosler Ballistic tip for Elk in a 300 WM

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 165 gr. Nosler Ballistic tip for Elk in a 300 WM
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted
The short answer is that it's a terrible choice, especially out of any caliber with velocities exceeding 2700 fps or so. Sure they've been TONS of elk killed with BTs, but even the most ardent supporter of the BT, admits to sticking to primarily lung (or soft tissue) shots. Frankly all I want to concentrate on is making a good shot and if only the shoulder or the dreaded THS is the only option, I don't have to worry about the bullet flyng apart. jorge

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't, although they make a fine choice for deer.

The partitions and x's are a much better choice for elk.

FWIW,
Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Redhawk, I watched a friend send three 165grn. Ballistic Tips from his 30-06 into a cow Elk's shoulder. Damnedest thing to actually see an animal not react to being shot. The first two barely got her attention, while the third did get her running. We put her down for the count with a Partition from a .270 after that.

A little field autopsy showed that all three BT's had blow up on her shoulder without penetrating to the vitals. Not the bullets to use on Elk it seems!

Just because a bullet performs well at the range on paper, is not solely enough reason to use it in the field.

Think twice about those BT's.

Posts: 135 | Location: Colorado Mtns. | Registered: 07 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Would that be the standard Barnes X or their new Triple shock? Big difference.

one of us
Picture of Redhawk1
posted Hide Post
Well I talked him into the Barnes X bullets. We decided to use the Nosler BT for trigger time at the range. Thanks for all the feedback.

Posts: 3142 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 15 May 2004Reply With Quote