Find
Notify
Tools

Trophy Whitetail Buck of a Lifetime
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted

A youngster's 1st deer IS a trophy of a lifetime.

My freind (Frank) called me yesterday to tell me he was coming out to my place W/his 15 year old to hunt.

Isaiah (his son) has been hunting on my place for the last 2 years. He has seen a few deer while bowhunting & (reluctantly) passed on a small doe during gun season last year.

I went out to do some chores yesterday & when I returned to the house, I had a message on my answering machine from Frank. He said that Isaiah had shot @ a deer & they were looking for blood. I called Frank & he told me they had found the deer & were returning to the vehicle parked across the road from my house.

Turns out they didn't have to look long. As you can see by the exit wound in the photo, Isaiah had made a perfect heart/lung shot. The deer didn't bleed for the 1st 15 yds but it then blew blood & lungs all over the saplings just before going down about 25 yds from where he was standing when the shot hit him.

Isaiah made a 75yd shot from my tri-pod stand. That's the 24th deer to be taken from that stand since 2001. He was using my M700 Mountain Rifle DBM in 7mm-08 W/handloaded 140gr Nosler Ballistic Tips @ 2925 FPS. That rifle has never failed to harvest every deer shot @ W/it since I bought it in 1999.

Here's the proud Papa W/his son & his trophy buck.

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 tu2

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bet his heart was beating like a jackhammer when that buck walked in!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by calgarychef1:
I bet his heart was beating like a jackhammer when that buck walked in!

Knowing where the buck emerged,(according to his dad) & where it was when he made the shot, he had to wait a bit for a clear shot.

That kid made one hell of bullet placment job under pressure. He's going to make one lethal hunter.

BTW, Frank said the kid was pretty choked up when they found the deer.

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
A youngster's 1st deer IS a trophy of a lifetime.
Congratulations Isaiah! tu2

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on a great shot and nice buck also!!!! Big Grin

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
tu2

No people in history have ever
survived who thought they could protect their freedom by making themselves
inoffensive to their enemies.

Posts: 1689 | Location: North MS U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
wildcat junkie

Sir I would like to thank you for sharing your land. Without that act of kindness, the "Buck of a lifetime" would not have happened that day for that boy.
My best regards,
dmw

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fury01:
wildcat junkie

Sir I would like to thank you for sharing your land. Without that act of kindness, the "Buck of a lifetime" would not have happened that day for that boy.
My best regards,
dmw

Up here on the tundra of northern NY state near the Canadian border, we have a very long firearms deer season. It runs from mid October to the 1st week of December.

For some reason, after the 2nd week or so of October, does are scarce on my place, but the brushy cover still seems to hold a lot of bucks. Small yearling bucks are numerous & mature bucks seem to pop up regularly.

The tri-pod stand overlooks a long, 240yd+ shooting lane across a 15 acre cut area that was logged in 1999. @ the far end is an area where several types of vegetation/habitat converge. Cedars, a swampy area, oak/maple hardwoods & thick hemlocks all converge @ the edge of the now thick cut over. There are 4 other shooting lanes varying from 50 to 100yds.

16 of the 24 deer (2/3 of them bucks) that have been taken from that tri-pod have fallen @ the far end of that long 240yd+ shooting lane.

There is a large ladder stand W/a bench seat & roof suitable for 2 persons within 35 yds of the end of that shooting lane. We call it "the penthouse". It is seldom hunted to prevent spoiling that hot spot. When I see a yearling buck from the tri-pod that is frequenting the hot spot area, I try to put a kid that has yet to take a deer, often accompanied by an adult, in that stand.

My son took his 1st deer, a buck I had previously spotted, from that stand as well as another buck. He used that same M700 7mm-08. Isaiah has hunted it before. For some reason Frank had taken "the penthouse" leaving Isaiah in the tri-pod on that day. A fortunate change in routine it turned out as that buck appeared in one of the shorter shooting lanes near the tri-pod.

Funny how things work out.

One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
I went to college in Rochester and lived halfway between there and Syracuse, working on an Uncle's farm. I also went back to live there for a few years in the mid 1980's. I only went "up north" once to hunt with a couple of fellows, one of whom had a cabin. Beautiful big country that me and my best friend, my compass, really enjoyed walking in. I did not see a deer on that trip but had a great time carrying my Rifle instead of the shotgun that I hunted with down on the farm. Again, thanks for your sharing hunting with folks like Isaiah.
best regards,
dmw

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote