THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Re: Mt. Elk Hunt To Be Cut - WOLVES To Blame!

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Mt. Elk Hunt To Be Cut - WOLVES To Blame!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Madgoat and Bear, the people at the meeting I attended don't have a "fear" of the bear. What we "fear" is the expanded range. They drew a line pretty much down the middle of the Big Horn Basin. Expanded range brings changes and restrictions. Restrcitions that I am not even fully versed on. But I know when an area becomes grizzly recovery area, roads close, snow mobiling stops, bear boxes, limited camps, closed trails, restricted hunting. I can live with most of this but the bottom line is more of big brother telling us what we can and can not do on public land for the sake of having more bears.

As for sheep depridation, it occured quite often on lower range domestic sheep flocks. The last grizzly killed in Hot Springs county Wy was with in 7 miles of town and was in pretty much open range. No timber of forest. Copper Mountain south of Thermopolis. 1930's I think. Grizzlys were quite common on the prairie like the elk in the early 1800's.

How far do we go to bring every thing back? How many jobs, lives, hobies, get impacted to expand the grizzlys range?

The same thing with the bear as the wolf, F&W touted and preached that as soon as x amount of pairs of wolves and numbers of bears was reached they would be delisted and some control could take place. G&F say over 600 grizzlys in wy alone, and I have heard any where from 550 to 750 wolves in Wy. And I say to any one that wants them come and get some!

Wyoming and Alaska comparison as for bear problems isnt the same and like comparing the preverbial apple to orange. One big difference, your grizzlys get hunted and shot from time to time, as do your wolves, Ours dont. No fear of man! I would like to see what would happen in Alaska and Canada if all grizzly hunting were to cease. And you can bet the green folks would love to see that happen to.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kudu:
Fair enough response. I interpreted the word "sheep" to mean the Big Horns and not domestic. Also must admit that I expected hunting to be part of any management program. BTW, I personally wouldn't mind importing the grizzlies you don't want. I think the wilderness would be a lot less without them. Now, as for your wolf problem.......
Bear in Fairbanks

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Well, as it stands right now, can any hunter legally kill a wolf in the US?

I can shoot five per year in my area!

Posts: 2361 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote