New
Find
Notify
Tools

poor manners........?????
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I haven't visited the site in a few months as summer is a busy time for me. I started hitting it a few weeks ago and have to say the posts here have taken a sad downturn.

What happened to good manners?? I can't believe the content of some of the posts regarding Craig Boddington, Long range shooters or John Barsness.

I have no idea what drives this sort of negative behavior. Jealousy? Wish you could be a gun writer as well?? I don'tknow.

I do know that its cheapening this site and I wish it would stop. Lets get back to BIG GAME HUNTING topics, or possibly have a seperate category for the posters that wish to argue, demean and complain.

Frank Nowakowski

Posts: 950 | Location: Cascade, Montana USA | Registered: 11 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Amen!

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Frank, I wholeheartedly agree with the notion we should extend common courtesy. I do think this sort of stuff pops up everytime around this year, it's kind of a "cabin-fever" thing, IMO.

Still, if you think this is bad, check out the political forum. Yowza! Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Nowakowski:

I have no idea what drives this sort of negative behavior. Jealousy? Wish you could be a gun writer as well?? I don'tknow.

Frank Nowakowski

Frank, it comes from people who can't live up to their own ideals, and detest anyone who can.

Apparently, they also have no clue as to how they are exposing their own smallness when they post.

It's irritating at first, then it becomes sad, and finally, embarrassing.

Rick.

Posts: 1099 | Location: Apex, NC, US | Registered: 09 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually people like Barsness and Boddington have done more hunting than I ever will and I certainly envy them. Like you, I have read the sarcastic and often just plain mean comments some seem to feel compelled to write. Speaking for myself, I would like to hear more and learn more from them. However, if I were them I doubt I would bother given the receprion they have recieved.

Posts: 400 | Location: Murfreesboro,TN,USA | Registered: 16 January 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Frank,
- We only half expect to see it anywhere else these days. Why should we expect it here? [Wink]

Along with a host of other values, common courtesy is going by the wayside.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like Barsness articles quite a lot.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500grains:

The problem is 500 gr's you're one of the muck-raking trolls so who really cares what you like.

<tasunkawitko>
posted
i'll agree with the ones who attribute it to cabin fever. we want to get out tehre and do some deer/elk/antelope/whatever hunting!

also, let's face it. we're all a bunch of pretty opinionated types who are going to dig in our heels and use a lot of zeal when defending our points. i don't take it all that personally when it gets heated, and i don't expect others to take it personally either. i would like to think that when it is all said and done, most of us here could sit down and share a few beers (or whatever) together and have a good time, in spite of our disagreements.

on another forum, when things get heated, and someone starts ringing the "can't-we-all-just-get-along?" bell, the reply i see most is, "thoughen up, buttercup." in most cases, i would say that this is good advice.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Frank, I rarely lurk on "BIG GAME", or "North American Hunting" Or "Medium bore" forums, and even rarer is it that I post on any of these forums. I am a life member of North American Hunting Club, and I simply will not even open that website up at all. The reason? I find the bickering is rampant in these froums. I don't know why, other than they are visited mostly by very young inexperienced shooters, and hunters, that are still learning the first 1/10th of their knowledge on the headlined subjects, and are of the Teenager's opinion, that they already know it all. They argue from a base of nothing, many times, but will not yeald an inch, and tend to be very sarcastic, and use foul luangege, when they can't back up their opinions.

As far as bad mouthing the Gun writers, that is done more by older guys, I think, who pick one guy they like to read, and everybody else is a bum! Case in point is, this is not new! Look at the bruhaha that went on between the E.Keeth vrs J. O'Conner!

Cabin fever does have something to do with it right now, but the hunting seasons are opening shortly in the lower 48, and are already open in Alaska, and that should releive some of it. Still I find the put-down crap to be far more prevelent, in so-called BIG GAME (read whitetail deer) [Big Grin] , than in real big game forums like African, or Alaskan hunting!

NOW! The political forums are the place to stay out of, nobody there is of one mind, and every other guy is flat wrong, according to one poster or another! [Roll Eyes]

It always amazes me why a guy will say things to someone they do not know,on the PC, that they wouldn't dare say face to face! [Confused]

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Longbob
posted Hide Post
I do not play favorites. It is impossible for me to pick just one guy to read. I spend far too much time in the bathroom for that. [Smile]

Posts: 3512 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: 01 June 2001Reply With Quote
<tasunkawitko>
posted
frank,

i live in lewistown, and have friends from other forums in helena and great falls who get together now and then for shooting or other assorted BS. one of them does quite a bit of gopher hunting near your locale.

if you'd like to get together for a beer or some shooting or something, let me know.

ron

one of us
posted Hide Post
Tasunkawitko,

I'm headed up your way in November to fill a muley tag out near Grassrange. I'll keep you in mind.

FN in MT

Posts: 950 | Location: Cascade, Montana USA | Registered: 11 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brad:
quote:
Originally posted by 500grains:

The problem is 500 gr's you're one of the muck-raking trolls so who really cares what you like.
And that my boys is a POT calling the KETTLE black
Now carry on [Wink]

I watch from my bowl
Birman [Razz]

Posts: 515 | Location: The fields of Delaware but now Pa too | Registered: 04 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rick3foxes:
Frank, it comes from people who can't live up to their own ideals, and detest anyone who can.

Apparently, they also have no clue as to how they are exposing their own smallness when they post.

It's irritating at first, then it becomes sad, and finally, embarrassing.

Who are we talking about here? Those that supply the malicious, cowardly attacks against the writers...or, those that blather and drool like pathetic hero-worshippers whenever someone of some import shows up around here???

In my opinion, BOTH types are unsavory and are probably equally responsible if someone is run off from here.

RSY

[ 09-10-2003, 00:59: Message edited by: RSY ]

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
It always amazes me why a guy will say things to someone they do not know,on the PC, that they wouldn't dare say face to face!

MAc it is simple, they dont get punched in the face when doing it by pc. Actually I have complained about this before on AR. It seems to run in cycles. Sometimes worse than others. I agree with Frank and I really think Nickudu hit it on the head. People are not civil anywhere you go, no reason to expect any different here. I dont know what the underlying cause is. I do know I see more and more of it everyday. It is totally acceptable to disagree and to argue ones point. There is no reason howeveer to not be civil while doing so.

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Longbob
posted Hide Post
Personally, it is a great advantage to be in an area where there is little civility. Our company is nationwide. If you act with kindness and courtesy, you will stick out like a sore thumb.

People will just fall all over themselves trying to help you. There are only so many resources available no matter where you go. If you are kind and courteous, then the majority of the resources will be directed your way.

It works like a charm. I just hope that not many people catch on before I am retired. [Smile]

Posts: 3512 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: 01 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
For me, it's simple.....I'm just going to keep going hunting.....and most of the folks I meet are really fine to know.....a few are not but ignore them and move on.

This is still a fine forum and lets try to keep it that way.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Ignore trolls and offensive posts and eventually they will go away.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Frank,

While you are right about the number of people in here, who really use this an as opportunity to Argue over anything,

Let's not forget the number of really GOOD people that it has been my pleasure to meet on this board.

Some guys will call you every derogatory name in the book, if you think different than they do on the most minute points. However, there are others who from their prospective and abilities, that their points differ from my own, but in their shoes it works for them.

Bottom line it boils down to maturity. Some guys have a lot of it, and some will never have an ounce of it. Many of us don't really need someone else to tell us who most of the latter are.

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I don't agree with someone I am not afraid to say so but I do so without resorting to name calling and swearing.I personally have no use for boddington or barnsness and since they are making money for their stories and opinions they are after all professionals and should be able to deal with a little criticism.I therefore may treat them a little harsher than other non professionals.Like RSY I find the hero worship bestowed on such people by certain individuals sickening and just as bad as abuse of other people.If you have something to say do so but try to do it in a civil manner.

[ 09-10-2003, 08:07: Message edited by: stubblejumper ]

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Frank: I've gotta agree with you on this. I may not care for any number of writers in general but they all have a lot more experience than I do. I should think that any nitwit would realize that a person can learn something from just about anybody. But then again, look at some of the posters who can't even write a complete sentence without the use of a four letter invective. To me, it just shows their ignorance. Bear in Fairbanks

[ 09-10-2003, 12:48: Message edited by: Bear in Fairbanks ]

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote