THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Hypothetical Question: Leupold Optics Co Folds!

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hypothetical Question: Leupold Optics Co Folds!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Been reading all the infighting on optics here and would like your thoughts. What if Leupold went out of business like Redfield did a few years ago?( Yea I know they're back, so what) And Weaver or Burris picked up their repair work. What scope brand would you go with? Myself being a Leupold fan I would probably go with a Zeiss Conquest or Swarvoski AV. The prices on these scopes are not bad. For those who did not or could not afford these I would steer them towards the Burris Fullfield II line. How about you? MtnHtr

Posts: 254 | Location: USA | Registered: 30 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The sheep would keep their used ones and be happy with that. Maybe someone would have a cache of NIB Leupolds to slip throughout the masses to keep their hopes up. [Razz]

To turn the tables on me, if I could not use a European made scope I would likely go with Leupold.

Buell

Posts: 935 | Location: USA | Registered: 03 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mtn, I think your question is interesting. If Leopold went out of business, I think half the guys on this website would have heart attacks and die. So that would eliminate a lot of them right there. The smarter ones would come around to realize I've been right all along about Bushnell. [Big Grin] The "not so smart" guys would just turn to black powder guns that won't shoot much further than I can throw a rock.

As for me, if my old tired eyes get much worse, I won't need a scope at all. I'll just shoot by sound. [Eek!] [Big Grin]

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
I'd probably use a Ziess conquest or B&L Elite 4000.

I can't think of a better hunting scope than the Vari X III 2.5-8, for my purposes. It's trim and clear, and I like it.

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well...I would probably consider a Burris scope. I could not afford a Suaro, nor a "Leeker."

Another scope I would consider would a Pentax Light Seeker, and maybe a Nikon Monarch.
--------
Hmmmm...I better think a little longer about the right answer. The way I see it, sooner or later Europeans will have to turn in their guns. What would they do with so many scopes and no guns? Answer: They will probably have to find a market in the military, or perhaps US hunters. It will mean stiff competition, which in turn should bring their scope prices down.

The future looks great, folks, specially for you young ones. I may be too old by then, and the 2.5-8x Leupold I already use will probably outlast me.

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There would be no change as a Leupold "type" scope would continue to be made.

The reason a Leupold is a Leupold, a Model 70 a Model 70 and a Mark V Wby a Mark V Wby, is a marketing thing and trade offs between sales and dollars etc.

Tasco or S&B could make you a Leupold tomorrow and Leupold could make you an S&B or Tasco and Barnes could make a Swift A Frame and etc. etc.

Leupold is very similar to Wby. It looks great to most people and is at the top of the price range of "ordinary" stuff.

Also like Wby rifles, the Leupld is greatly over rated. They work very much on the basis that 98% of shooters will never know that the scope may cause a few flyers. For the other 2% they give back a scope that is very good and those 2% are important because they sing the praises of the scope.

In fact the best scopes I have seen (mechanically) and I know Mitch with his 577 T Rex also agrees with this, is the Leupold that has been sent back.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If Leupold went out of business, I'd retire on the income generated from the sale of all but one of my Leupolds, then just hunt for the rest of my life with the single 3-9 Vari-X II that I kept. It's a Leupold, after all, no need to keep a back-up.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't bother me in the least as I threw all my worthless Leupolds in the canal behind the house yesterday evening, I have gone back to iron sights altogether. I can't stand unhappy people and that's the cowboy way..I have made this sacrifice for my fellow man or child, whatever..

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Wouldn't bother me in the least as I threw all my worthless Leupolds in the canal behind the house yesterday evening

Uh, Ray, would you please e-mail me the GPS co-ordinates of that canal [Wink] [Big Grin]

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pecos45:
Mtn, I think your question is interesting. If Leopold went out of business, ... The "not so smart" guys would just turn to black powder guns that won't shoot much further than I can throw a rock.

Okay Pecos, as one of the "not so smart guys," my black powder gun will shoot 3600 yds. Where's your rock? If you'd study up with us not-so-smart boys, you might learn a trick or two. [Smile]

Brent

[ 07-31-2002, 03:27: Message edited by: Brent ]

Posts: 2257 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brent - I was about to think I had gotten away with my jab at the black powder guns, but at least one of you is too sharp-eyed to let me slide. [Big Grin]

Truth is I ain't quite as dumb as I look OR act. I know full well the potential of black powder weapons. I've never messed with them personally because I'm just too dang lazy. AND I've been around a lot of fellows who got into BP guns and never came back. Shooting black powder seems to be like a disease. Some guys never shoot anything else once they are exposed. [Eek!] I'd probably be just like um if I ever tried it.

So I hear you and I know better than to get into a shootout with any BP guys. Most are dang good shots. I just can't resist taking a jab at them when I think I can sneak it in. But you caught me. Hope you'll forgive this flaw in my devilish nature. [Smile]

By the way Brent, I just looked at that fine picture of an antelope you have on your profile!
Good animal...but what kind of rifle is that? A springfield /06? [Big Grin] <just kidding.>

[ 07-31-2002, 03:47: Message edited by: Pecos45 ]

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Some of my friends like the Nikon line of scopes. My gunsmith recomends scopes from Springfield Armory. The Sheperd Line always peeked my intrest. Then the eye relief of the Burris looks apealing, plus I think they are made in the U.S.A. So God forbid Leupold goes out of business I could find another scope maker.

Posts: 622 | Location: PA. U.S.A. | Registered: 12 May 2002Reply With Quote