Find
Notify
Tools

Colorado Pronghorn?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of T
posted
I have 6 non resident preference points for pronghorn in Colorado. Any suggestions on units to apply for trophy antelope?
Thanks in advance.

Posts: 292 | Location: Tx | Registered: 24 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try for Area 11 in the northwest part of the state near the town of Maybell. Lots of antelope there and almost all the land is public. Mostly BLM ground and a bunch of school trust land that is open during the hunting season.

The area gets a fair amount of pressure though. I have found most antelope hunters won't get more that 1/2 mile fom their truck. You can get BLM maps that show the entire area. Key in on places with few roads and do your hunting on foot he way antelope shuld be hunted. I'd say a reasonable pronghorn in that area would be 14 1/2 inches to 15 inches.

Mac

Posts: 1638 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
I just moved up here to CO but I will ask a few friends what they would do. Also, if you draw a good tag let me know and I'll come over and glass for you for a couple of days if your not opposed to that. I'll PM you what I find

Drummond

Posts: 2093 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Give a call to the DOW and get a print out for Antelope ordered from them that shows how many preference points it took to draw for Antelope by area. With this in hand you can see what areas you have a chance at drawing and not just spinning your wheels applying for an area that takes far more points than what you have or worse using points and drawing a tag that doesn't have an Antelope of the quality you are looking for. Any area that requires 6 points or more is going to have nice sized Antelope in it, it is not in high demand for no reason. Colorado has nice Antelope but is typically surpassed by other states for the big trophies.
Colorado DOW 1-303-297-1192

Website www.wildlife.state.co.us

I just spoke with the DOW and their easy to read statistics are coming out later this week in the Colorado Outdoors magazine, shows unit by unit how many points it took last year to draw.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't get your hopes up. Looks like you need close to 10-11 points to draw in a good area (2,3,10, etc.).

Deke.

Posts: 691 | Location: Somewhere in Idaho | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would second the northwest, from Maybell out to the Utah line.

Posts: 281 | Location: southern Wisconsin | Registered: 26 August 2005Reply With Quote