New
Find
Notify
Tools

Holding out for a whitetail
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Deer hunting today, beautiful day. Actaully to warm. Sunrise was spectacular and seen a few muleys. I want a whitetail and will wait and see. Here are a few photos.

[url=http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a2cf20b3127ccef1d6493b829100000030O00AbuXLli5cuWIPbz4a/cC]

And no the one isn't high fenced, he was ouside of an office near their yard. He was chasing does.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
he's only about 22-23"s anyway.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Beautiful photos! Thanks for sharing.

I admire your willpower, too. tu2 tu2

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Heck, I'd trade a whitetail for most of those muley bucks. Last year I was sitting on the hillside with a doe tag in my pocket and saw 1 doe and 32 different bucks. They all wanted to chase her at one time or another. Needless to say, I got no shots. I hope my landowner gets out of the hospital so I can go the same place this year. I have a buck tag now.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can only hunt next weekend, and I will probably regret not pulling the trigger on the buck in the second photo. Very deep forked and about as heavey as they get around here. I watched him bed down in deep sagebrush, along a creek with two whitetail bucks. I waited a bit, then I made a quite stalk into the brush only to see the WT jump and run into some willows. Then this buck stood up maybe 30 yards away. I was walking with the sun to my back, when he stood up, I don't think he could sort me out. He gave me enough time to take about four quick shots. And then away he went into the same willows.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
First whitetail spotted.

Another muley.

http://im1.shutterfly.com/medi...0/rx%3D720/ry%3D480/

Thanksgiving dinner! I wish!

4 pointer, I shot this morning. I did see one bigger but he gave me the slip in the willows.

He had some kind of fat bag under his chin. I cut it open and it was just ahuge deposit of fat.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think I've got the same thing under my chin.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
That is a weird spot for a fat buildup.. Hmm...

I thought the same thing. I expected a cyst, or injury. But just a big glob of fat! bewildered

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a nice whitetail, but I'm sitting here drooling over the mulies you passed on.

DRSS

Posts: 626 | Location: OK USA | Registered: 07 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had only shot one other whitetail here. There was a time you didn't see any in this area. So it became a goal a couple of years ago. And I think they eat better. Occasionaly you will see a 160" to 170" or bigger WT around here, I never have the right tag or even my camera. The last two years that I had a tag for the area where I shot this deer, I kept passing on muleys and came up blank. But still enjoy being out and about in the fall. I finally got them figured out this year with the help of my Garmin and the WG&F property card. Big Grin

As I get older I have become a foot, road, and game cart deer hunter!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
He had some kind of fat bag under his chin. I cut it open and it was just ahuge deposit of fat

I have heard that too much Blue Bell Ice Cream will do that exact thing..... Wink

"We Don't Rent Pigs !"

Posts: 1191 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 29 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice whitetail, kudu.. I'm looking for one down here around Pinedale.. have permission for about 8 miles of river bottom.. Know the ranchers.. no luck yet, but they'll be moveing pretty soon.. Les

Posts: 432 | Location: Wyoming/ Idaho, St Joe river | Registered: 17 November 2005Reply With Quote