Find
Notify
Tools

Lockable Ammo Containers
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Guys,
Hoping some of you could help with contacts / links to suppliers of Lockable Ammo Containers, the type suitable for packing into checked airline baggage. Really looking for something stout but not too weighty, holding at least 40 rounds up to 60 maximum. Have asked some gear suppliers here in NZ but they don't seem to feature here yet.
Any info appreciated. Thanks.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2090 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I have a Pelican but can't remember the number

It will hold 5 box's of 30-06 type ammo

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pelican is the right choice.
Come in many sizes.

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pelican is the way to go. Not cheap but they are virtually indestructible. I have four in total and the 25 year old ones work as well as the newer ones.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13024 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pelican 1200. I just bought one. Go to

Pelicancasesforless.com. $38

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I was browsing on ebay one day and found Pelican cases that had been used for instruments or other technical cargo and being sold cheap. Some had an odd cut out in the foam but thought they were quite a bargain.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pelican's are superior but I will tell you i saw some very economical ones at Academy Sports just this week.
.30'cal size was i believe $4.88? Something like that. Very, very affordable and you can order online

Posts: 931 | Location: Music City USA | Registered: 09 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have some of the ammo cases from Academy for both handgun and rifle ammo. They are strong and do not pop open when I happen to drop one. The big plus, as you have already indicated, is they are cheap.

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times.

Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.

Posts: 697 | Location: Dublin, Georgia | Registered: 19 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boliep:
I have some of the ammo cases from Academy for both handgun and rifle ammo. They are strong and do not pop open when I happen to drop one. The big plus, as you have already indicated, is they are cheap.

I guess the real test would be to pack it full of ammo and throw it around like you mean to try to bust it open. That's what your baggage handlers will do.

I arrived in a small town in Alaska with my gun case bent and forklift tire tracks on it, looked like they propped up one end and drove a forklift on it to bend it.
That's just how much they cared for my luggage.
Since then I've planned accordingly.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,
I really appreciate all the replies to date. Have an enquiry in to Pelicancasesforless now and waiting for their reply. Also checked the Academy website, but didn't find lockable models at those cheap prices. Could anyone please advise the particular model referred to ? I'm leaning more towards the Pelican product at the moment as they seem to be built for disaster. Thanks again to all.

Posts: 2090 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Bama 15 says it is the Pelican 1200 you are looking for, that sounds right.

The 1200 is 9"x7"x4" (plus) inside dimensions.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I went out on their website..the cases at Academy are made by Plano (like the fishing tackle)
You cant hardly see in the online pic, but there's a place for a little luggage lock right in front there.
$4.29...
I'm buying a few mostly because they are far less bulky to pack ( and they are much lighter) and i just put them right in my luggage and go...

Posts: 931 | Location: Music City USA | Registered: 09 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As mentioned, the Pelican 1200 is great, but Americase makes a solid, padded, lightweight that a is awesome too. I've used them both.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://www.trademe.co.nz/elect...ction-1084267288.htm

This is what I eventually found and bought. I guess it's a copy of the Pelican type case. I think it is built tough enough, and it's lockable. Weighs about 34 oz. I thought I would never find anything of this description in NZ, but after much internet searching found this with a supplier in our South Island. It's perfect for containing the 4 Norma packs ( 80 rounds total ) I want to take to Africa. Interesting to see this supplier also has the same brand of case in firearm dimensions.