New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reloading for adverse conditions...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Wondering what you guys do, if anything, special for loading cartridges for hunting conditions? We all know what bullets are good, primers, brass etc. But what about the extra stuff. I here some people talk about nailpolishing the primers for a moisture seal. And making sure that bullets are crimped into place. What are your guys thoughts about reloading for a adverse condition hunting trip, like an alaskan trip?

Feel this is more applicable here in a hunting section than a general reloading forum.

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Unless you are going to submurge your ammo in water for a long period of time, special sealing isn't really req'd. The only thing I recommend is you not have an exposed ammo carrier when out in the extreme cold.

[ 10-22-2003, 22:54: Message edited by: fredj338 ]

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't think of anything I'd do differently than normal, but I would be much more QC oriented.

Not that I accept shabby loads, but I'd set aside any that showed either easier primer or easier bullet seating, indicating a fit not as tight as it could be.

I would also full length size and chamber-check every completed round and take out any that showed any resistance at all to closing the bolt.

Posts: 588 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 08 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sharpes Shooter I hunt in many extreme climates 95 to -10 Use stick powder not ball.Ball powder is temperature sensitive.In extreme cold degrease rifle action.

Posts: 202 | Location: davenport, iowa | Registered: 31 January 2003Reply With Quote