New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hunting on the cheap.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was looking on the net the other day trying to find a way to stay in a part of Australia I love without paying hotel rooms rates. I discovered a club where people either trade houses or host others for a return trip to their house. "What a great idea", I thought.

Now lets take that idea one step further. I could never afford to go on a Kudu hunt in Africa but I can afford the plane ticket. Or how about a pig hunt in Australia. I bet there is someone out there reading this that would love to visit Central B.C. in Canada and go for moose or bear.

Excluding the psycho internet freak factor (for now, but we will talk if someone is serious). Let me be the first to offer a swap hunting experience. Look at my 2nd post on the "river fishing" topic to see what I offer. Anyone want to take me hunting in exchange?

Posts: 78 | Location: Western Canada | Registered: 23 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
In Idaho, if you advertise for a "hunt-swap", don't be surprised if you get a visit of the "men in suits".

The outfitters have a cow over this sort of thing, and they are well connected. FWIW, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
The problem with your idea is in this province at least you have to hire a licenced guide if you are from out of province. Your idea works for fishing and vacationing though.

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I disagree with it being against the law. If I want to go on a hunt and be with someone filling his tag then what the heck. I'd love to take a guy from Oz into the Canadian bush we got lots of it (haha). Or accept an invitation to a desert hunt in Arizona. It's a good idea and a cheap way to experience things you wouldn't do any other way.

Bellhender

Posts: 78 | Location: Western Canada | Registered: 23 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Bellhender, if you know better than the judge, go for it. In Idaho, it is considered outfitting with a license, and they have no sense of humor. FWIW, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dutch is correct, a swap hunt is illegal outfitting in Idaho....In fact just taking a non-resident friend if you are feeding him, lodging him etc. is considered outfitting...Sure, it is a totally rediculas law, but it is a fact of life until someone challanges it through the courts...

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote