New
Find
Notify
Tools

What to do in Alberta?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I will be spending the winter in Red Deer, from Nov.1 - May 1. I will be taking a course during week but I will have weekends and evening off. Don't know if there are any hunting oppertunities for a non resident or not at that time of year... I was just wondering.
I thought it would be a good chance for me to catch up on my practice with my recurve. I would like to take in a couple of horse auctions. At this point, I don't know what the heck I am going to do with myself with 6 months of 9 to 5 livestyle.
Any sudjestions from any who would know would be appreciated.

Daryl

Posts: 536 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yukoner, I don't know where your interests lie but in Red Deer you're half way in between one of the best hockey rivalries in the NHL. There is also the Red Deer Rebels in the WHL. It is also a short drive to some very good skiing.

Posts: 2092 | Location: Canada | Registered: 25 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
Daryl

I started a thread for you at gunnutz [Big Grin]

Click on the link

http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/viewtopic.php?p=108347#108347

What course are you taking? [Smile]

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Daryl,

Some of the best whitetail and muley hunting in NA can be had in southeast Alberta in November. Brother, they've got some BIG deer around those parts. If I were going there, I'd definitely look up a few outfitters and see what I could arrange.

Posts: 13667 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yukoner,

Unfortunately for you, all non-residents and non-res aliens need to be accompanied by a licensed guide or a hunter host when hunting for big game, wolf, and coyote. A hunter host is a resident who will "guide" you free of charge. There are a few Albertans on this forum ;-) If you hunt with a hunter host you can get whitetail, mule, moose, elk black bear, cougar and wolf/coyote licenses at private license vendors.

You'll miss spring bear, there are no over the counter rifle tags for mule and moose in the Parklands (but bow tags are!), but the rest is prety much open. Of course you're also close to the foothills region, so plenty of options there.

Game birds can be hunted without a guide. You'll be in the Parkland region...you'll be catching some of the pheasant and ruffed and spruce grouse season, partridge, and water fowling.

Frans

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A NHL game sounds great, I have got to do one!

Thanks Gatehouse. The looks like an interesting site. I will have to check it out. I will be taking a saddlery and leather working course. I take it you will be a busy guy come winter with the Olympics in Whislter?

mrlexma,
Your are right about that! Saskatchewan is my old stomping grounds. I killed more mulies and whitetails there than I can admit to. I was planning on flying there for a weekend hunt with family that live there.

Frans,
Thanks for the info. Fortunately for me, I can sponser a Canadian resident to hunt moose, caribou, grizzly, black bear, wolf, and wolverine with over the counter tags and hunt them all at the same time. It would not be to hard for me swap a hunt. Only problem is I will only have weekends to fart around. Some pheasant hunting sounds pretty darn good.

Thanks again for the sujestions,

Daryl

Posts: 536 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
There are two gunshows in Calgary during that time period. The first is in January and the second is during the Easter weekend.

Edmonton and Red Deer each have one too, IIRC. I am not sure about the timing of them however, as they were always a little too far to go for me.

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yukoner wrote:

>Fortunately for me, I can sponser a Canadian >resident to hunt moose, caribou, grizzly, black >bear, wolf, and wolverine with over the counter tags >and hunt them all at the same time.

Sounds like we should get together and work something out!! Definitely!!

Canuck, when and where are those Calgary shows?

Frans

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, let's see now, Cartridge Collectors show in Edmonton, Nov 1st, Dec 6th & 7th Edmonton Gun Show, (there's also one in August and October); as for Calgary, I don't know, I don't see any listed in the CAF paper, but I'm sure someone who posts here will know. If you're going to trade hunts with someone here, get started on the paperwork now. There used to be a class 3 guide licence, but now it's called a hunter-host licence and the rules are differant. First of all you'll have to be related (or an in-law) to the hunter-host (hint, hint) after that it's just paperwork. i did this for a couple friends from nebraska last year, it's not tough to do. Oh, and you can only be a hunter-host every second year. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oh, and the tags are over the counter, they're just non-resident tags. - Dan

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys for the sujestions.

A gun show is a great idea!

As far as swapping a hunt in Alta, about the only thing I would be interested in is a Big horn. I have my plate full here at home. I sure do miss that pheasant hunting though.

Daryl

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
The first gun show of the year in Calgary is a small one. It is in the north part of town, not far of the Deerfoot. I can't remember the name of the venue. I also think it is on the third weekend of the month.

The second gun show is the big one. It is on the Easter long weekend every year. I try not to miss this one. They have it at the Exhibition grounds beside the Saddledome. There is also a big antique show next door. Works out well for me as my girlfriend loves checking out the antique show while I peruse the firearms. [Smile]

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello:
The venue for the first gun show is the thorncliff Community Hall. Not sure of the dates, but they post them in the Gun Runner, as well as The Bargain Finder. Can't remember if it is late in Dec. or early in Jan.
As for the barter hunt, don't let the local Outfitters association get wind of that idea.. Just picked up my Summer issue of the Alberta Game Warden, to find a collumn by Rick Visscher, president of the Outfitters association, whining about bartered Hunts and how illegal they are, What an asshole, and then he has the nerve to preach in a magazine put out by the provincial conservation officers.
Grizz

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
<richard powell>
posted
Amigo,

If you wish to whack a few pheasants .. drop me a line .. I live in Lethbridge and the season goes to November 15th .I'll take you out ... . should be a good year .. And next time you talk to Canuck - tell the dude that I have a gift for him from Namibia .. (I'm too lazy to e mail him ... )

one of us
posted Hide Post
Grizzly Adams,
We get the same snivelling up here from the Outfitters. They get very little hunting pressure, if any at all, from residents up here. They forget that the residents still have rights. A fellow that works for the Gov. Game Branch here, swaps hunts with a guy in Alta. He tells me it is legal.

Thanks for the info on the big gun show on easter weekend, but I will have to miss that one. I have to be home to visit the wife& kids.

Richard,

Sounds good to me, I will definately look you up. Thanks.

Daryl

one of us
posted Hide Post
Of course it's legal, it just puts the outfitters out because they see it as lost income. It's all about the dinero I'm afraid. - Dan

one of us
posted Hide Post
Contrary to what was said here, the Hunter Host can take *any* non-resident (alien) out for a hunt, max two per year...if he takes two, one of them should be a relative, maybe that is where the confusion arose. See definition page in hunting regs booklet, and further explanation on pg 17. (2002 issue)

The Hunter Host cannot provide services for "gain or reward". Is swapping a hunt therefore illegal? I'd have to ask my lawyer friend. I suppose if at the time of the first hunt the *intention* to treat this as a hunt swap existed...somebody could make a case out of the "not for gain or reward" clause...

But does the outfitter industry loose a lot of money over swapped hunts? Would be interesting to know the stats on Hunter Hosts, how many per year, and where do the hunters come from...

BTW, as far as I read the regs straight in this heat...there's no big horn license available over the counter for non-residents in AB.

Frans

one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually Frans is correct. As I had two people coming up, one had to be a relative/in-law of some kind, so he was. - Dan