New
Find
Notify
Tools

bear hunt on POW Island on my own
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am investigating the possibility of hunting black bear on Prince of Wales Island during the spring on my own in order to save money and to have a different experience of fending for myself. My brother and longtime hunting partner would accompany me. He and I are well matched in attitude and physical ability. I live in Walla Walla, WA so would figure on driving to Bellingham and then taking the ferry up to Ketchikan and then on over to POW. That way I would put fewer miles on the truck and would not have to hassle going through Canada. Also I want to take my 45 Colt revolver and handguns are illegal in Canada. So the ferry seems like a good bet overall. I was told that it takes about 36 hours to get from Bellingham up to Ketchikan on the ferry. Apparently there are some cabins that can be rented from the Forest Service but they cannot be driven to. I would figure on loading all my gear in my truck but wonder how far of a pack I would have in order to get my stuff to a cabin. If any of you have hunted bears on POW, especially on your own using these cabins I would sure like to hear from you. Is the whole island equally covered with bear or are there hot spots? Are there clear cuts that one could drive or walk to and glass? Or would it be more productive to use a boat and cruise the shoreline? Any info or tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Rufous.

Posts: 224 | Location: Walla Walla, WA 99362 | Registered: 05 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Get a hold of the U.S.F.S. or Alaska state parks they have been very helpful in all my dealings with them
That trip should be a BLAST

Good Luck!!

Posts: 2359 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote