THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Moose and/or Brown Bear/Grizzly Hunting

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Moose and/or Brown Bear/Grizzly Hunting
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Ben589
posted
I would like to hunt moose and possibly a grizzly or large brown bear.

Where would be the best place for an aspirant South Alabama Redneck to look for something like this, and what can I expect to pay? Are there any safari companies that would offer both moose and bear on the same hunt?

I figure my Ruger #1 in .416 Rigby ought to do me well enough, and while I'm a "tad" concerned about bears with just 1 round - I like to think that one good shot is all I'll need with the rigby. Do Canadian hunts offer anything like this, and what would be different in a Canadian hunt vs. Alaskan for a US citizen?

If I want to bring my wife along as a non-hunter, what fees can I expect to incur with her? The hunts I've seen at http://www.alaskansafari.com/home have been fairly expensive for our budget and it would be something we'd have to save up for for quite a while.

If I get a good bear or moose I'd like to hopefully mount the moose head and make a bearskin rug out of the bear for my hunting room at home, and hopefully send some of the meat back home to Alabama. Any ideas how many pounds of processed meat I could expect out of a big bear or moose and what it would cost to ship home?

I'm just trying to put some numbers together now more than anything. Thanks in advance for any help.

======================================
Cleachdadh mi fo m' féileadh dé tha an m' osan.

Posts: 2172 | Location: Highlands of South Alabama, USA | Registered: 28 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The link below is to the mountainhunter.net site run by the Guides and Outfitters Association of British Columbia. They are holding an online auction of hunts donated by their members, but at the site, you can also research a ton of hunts offered by member outfitters:
http://www.mountainhunter.net/splash.aspx

In order to bid, you must join the website for a fee, but if you are interested in bidding on such a hunt as you describe, it might be worth it. I bought a goat hunt for $3350, and my buddy bought a moose hunt for just over $2500.

If you want moose and griz, there are only a few places to get both. BC is one.

THE LUCKIEST HUNTER ALIVE!

Posts: 853 | Location: St. Thomas, Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 08 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yukon or Northern B.C

Daryl

Posts: 536 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't mess with Canada. Head straight to Alaska and have the time of your life. I did it last September and returned with an 8 foot bear and a 62 inch moose. Send me an email if you want to see the pictures.

Ski+3

Posts: 859 | Location: Kalispell, MT | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
while the youkon is going to probably be a lot less cash than alaska, with canada's gun laws and the beauty of alaska and its people its no choice. You will have no trouble finding the combo, but you will be inland more than likely. This means griz not browns, and be warned that alaskas moose population is way down at present. wolves are being blamed but who knows. Forget the meat, you will do one hell of a lot of hard work to bring 100% of the moose meat back out, but flying it home is something like a $3/# thing. Instead go over the 10th and M in anchorage & buy some of the most luscious seafoods you will ever find and bring that home instead. And save up your $$ because with 2 of you on that combo you're likely be be in the 17-20,000 category by the time you're all done. I'g happy for you that your wife wants to go along, it took me years to talk mine into it. Took here to alaska with jimmy rosenbusch in about 1992 and she's gone everywhere since & loves it. It really makes the trips much more enjoyable and remembered.

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
while the youkon is going to probably be a lot less cash than alaska, with canada's gun laws .

bewildered

Explain the problem with the gun laws.

Hunters are coming here every year and are not having any problems that I am aware of.(Unless you are thinking of using a full auto rifle or something.)

Sounds like bullshit to me.

Canada is alot less $ and alot less hunted. thumb

Daryl

Posts: 536 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ben589
posted Hide Post
The only thing I can think of is that I most likely wouldn't be able to bring a sidearm into Canada. That's easy enough to work around though.

======================================
Cleachdadh mi fo m' féileadh dé tha an m' osan.

Posts: 2172 | Location: Highlands of South Alabama, USA | Registered: 28 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Yukoner concerning transporting firearms into Canada. No problems at all. On my Yukon hunt last year, I arrived in Whitehorse via Edmonton. No problems with Canadian customs and gun registration. Very helpful and freindly. I don't see where prices are lower in Yukon vs. AK though. Maybe years ago...Also, never saw another human for 9 days in Yukoners old stomping grounds. TTS

Posts: 84 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 18 December 2001Reply With Quote