THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Some buddy who has shoot moose whit big bores.

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Some buddy who has shoot moose whit big bores.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Are there some buddy who have shoot moose whit the big bores like the 460 weatherby, 458 win or lott,500,577 Tyranosaur.

Please tell me the effect of shoulder hits whit the big bores.

Posts: 751 | Location: sweden | Registered: 15 January 2002Reply With Quote
<Peter Walker>
posted
Over

I shot a spike fork bull last fall with a 416 Rem. Loaded with 350gr Barnes X @ 2705 fps. Bullet entered the chest just in front of the diaphram on the left taking out 2 ribs and exited to the right side of center out the front of the chest. When gutting, the inside of the chest was a huge blood clot, total devistation.

I think a shoulder hit with the rifles you are speaking of would ruin a whole lot of moose.

...Peter

<Overkilll>
posted
i ment MY shoulder.
Will it rune MY shoulder?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would think that it would fall down

Posts: 562 | Location: Northern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<T/Jazz>
posted
I think it would give your golf game a serious problem if you are planing on being in the players championship.

My fathers brother who spent several years in Ontario Canada, used to hunt moose and bears with one. He got it for doing work for a fellow who owed him money back then.

Dad said that was the only rifle he ever hunted with back then, and it would cure a bad headache will quick by giving you a backache and neckache instead. It put the Deers and Muuuseys right down real quick.

<T/Jazz>
posted
OverKill-----that gun was a .458 magnum Winchester model 70 rifle.

one of us
posted Hide Post
(Broadside shots). I could be wrong, but I don't think a large bullet such as one from a .416, .458 and even larger would necessarily create at large wound channel every time. But if the shot is taken at close range to allow for maximum expansion, then the bullet may expand enough to create a larger hole, and if fast enough as it travels through the moose, it may even expand to the point that some pieces of lead may separate and create more wound channels. Now, if you use the same rifle to shoot the smallest bullet possible to attain maximum velocity, then it is possible that the bullet would even explode up in front and create a big wound channel. A solid bullet would just put an average hole through a moose's lungs, but a soft bullet at close range may expand and create a bigger hole.

I do believe that a heavy .416 or .458 bullet is not supposed to expand too much and stop too son, but instead to expand to the point that it won't interfere too much with penetration. The idea is use a bullet that can continue traveling as far as possible through large masses from any angle, broadside or not. A "fat" bullet creates a "fat" wound channel regardless of if it expands or not, but in order to maintain its path through flesh (penetration), it needs a great push forward. This "push" is provided by the great amount of powder in the case. Launch the same bullet using one-third of the total amount of powder and see how far it penetrates. Am I wrong on this assumption?

Keep in mind that the paragraph above is only my opinion.

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote