New
Find
Notify
Tools

A nice 8 pt. , Uvalde county
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just a nice 8pt I shot a couple of days ago.
20 1/2" outside spread, left G2 10 3/4", right G2 12" and 23" main beams.

The rifle is an old pre 64 Win. .338 with a 2.5X8 Leupold. I was shooting 210 Noslers and the buck was right at 225 yards quartering away.

Sendero300>>>===TerryP

Posts: 489 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 25 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! Nice buck and nice rifle.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Nice buck, nice rifle, nice part of the state.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
I like big ol' eights!!!!! Especially those with some character like that buck has on his left G2! Congratulations.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The rifles previous owner is a Col. who has hunted Africa (and everywhere else) quite a bit. I bought it for a donor action, as the barrel has been cut back to 23" but just hadn't had the heart to do it yet. It still shoots the Nosler 210's about 1 1/4" groups at 100 yards, feeds like a dream and has a good trigger pull. I hit the deer a little further back than I wanted but the nolser pushed all the way through to just under the skin behind the off shoulder. The bullet just had a little bit of lead left in front that fell off when I cut the bullet out. The deer ran only about 40 yards.

Also, last year in April. I found some sheds by an old stock tank. Both sides and I'm fairly sure there from the buck that I shot. The left G2 is just palmatted a little and there's a bump where the sticker is on this deers left G2. A pretty close match.

My uncle got me on this lease quite a few years ago and I've hunted it off and on. My uncle was a great hunting partner and was 77 years old when he passed away last year, while hunting, in the very place where I shot this deer. He lived a good life.... Wink thumb

Sendero300>>>===TerryP

Posts: 489 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 25 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
sendero, a nice Texas Big 8! Are you north or west of Uvalde? Merry Christmas.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually, our lease is south of Uvalde towards Batesville...

Sendero300>>>===TerryP

one of us
posted Hide Post
You are getting close to country where the "ranching" had early roots! Nice country as I have hunted near "Frio Town" back many years. It is typical Christmas time in S. Texas - have my golf shirt on and basing in sunshine and about eighty degrees on this beautiful Christmas Day.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sendero300, nice buck! he had to look huge going away from you!!

Congratulations.

That is actually a nice thought to me about your Uncle to my way of thinking--passing on while doing something you love.....

Regards--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on such a pretty big 8 point. I missed out on my trip to Uvalde this month due to a death in the family, but I will be down for turkeys this Spring. Love to spend time on the banks of the river, hunt pigs, and just relax in general.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Sendero300:
Just a nice 8pt I shot a couple of days ago.
20 1/2" outside spread, left G2 10 3/4", right G2 12" and 23" main beams.

The rifle is an old pre 64 Win. .338 with a 2.5X8 Leupold. I was shooting 210 Noslers and the buck was right at 225 yards quartering away.

NIce buck, very nice rifle! The 210 Nosler partition is deadly on deer/nilgai out of the 338 @ just under 2900 fps.

Would love to have a pre-64 in that caliber, even with a short barrel! Smiler

Congratulations.

Regards,
hm

2 Chronicles 7:14:
If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

Posts: 913 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote