New
Find
Notify
Tools

Guest Rifle
 Login/Join

<Red Green>
posted
Every now and again I get friends from the metropolitan center of the state that want to come out to the farm to go hunting. Most don't have rifles of their own.

I just pared down my collection pretty much to one deer capable rifle. I was thinking of buying an old, sporterized bolt rifle to use as a guest rifle, but I'm more of an upland shotgun guy and know squat about those old Mausers that sit on the used gun rack gathering dust. I was hoping to keep things around $200US. I'm not looking for anything pretty, and I don't need to keep things sub-MOA, but I do need to be able to take a deer with it at 200 yards or less. Additonally, I want to be able to use factory ammo in the thing unless I happen upon a .270, which I currently load.

Anyone have any tips on picking out an old sporter, what to watch out for and avoid or what to look for?

Thanks,
Red

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I think you might be better off looking for a beater remington/winchester/ruger/savage. You may have to up the price to $250, but there are bargains out there. You'll get more gun for the $ then a cheap poorly sporterized mauser.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
My thoughts, exactly. You can pick up a used Savage in 270 for $200 in my town, or $250 for a Rem. Slap a scope on, sight it in, and you'll be in heaven. FWIW, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree, I picked up a savage 111 in 338 (package gun with a bushnell scope) for a little over $200 new in box. This is my loaner gun. Its beat all to hell now but is still realible and a good shooter.

Posts: 204 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 06 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use nothing but very cheap rifles for loaners. after having one idiot drag a deer out using a pre 64 win. as a drag stick. I have 7 jap mil. and a beat up 95 7 mm mauser I use as loaners both worth about 50 dollars each.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Get yourself a Turkish Mauser with a 24" barrel, and Lee's 2 die set for reloading. The Turks tend to be worn out, but for $60, they are deer-capable. Just leave it stock... no scope, straight bolt handle.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
<1_pointer>
posted
You can get a brand new New England Arms for under $200. It is a single shot and would be easy to show someone how to use it.

<Sooner>
posted
I think 1_Pointer is on to something. I would much rather loan out a new single shot than an old wore out rifle. I just wouldn't feel right about giving a friend a potentially dangerous gun (in-laws are a different story). Now I know that most mausers are safe, god knows I've built several rifles off them but I still wouldn't buy an old cheap one to loan out. You get what you pay for.

BTW 1_Pointer, you didn't earn that name did you?????

Sooner

<1_pointer>
posted
Hmmm....Actually when I registered for a forum the first time it's the only name that came to mind. Now it's the only one I use, or would abuse be better.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Red! Just buy any beater and tighten it up with duct tape. "If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." LOL - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
<Red Green>
posted
Dan,

I've already done that with my rifle!

I thought about putting the "handy" line as a signature, but I didn't want to be too obvious.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd say comb the gun stores and pawn shops for a commercial bolt gun that someone's done something really ugly to. Here in Virginia you always see Rugers or Remingtons with a cheap scope and the latest Rustoleum Timber camo pattern.

If these visitors aren't experienced enough hunters to own their own rifles, I would highly recommend a scope and a light-recoiling caliber with a good selection of factory ammo available locally.

Posts: 1246 | Location: Northern Virginia, USA | Registered: 02 June 2001Reply With Quote
<Big Stick>
posted
When friends come visit me,they often don't bring a rifle. I give them the pick of the litter,out of my closets.

A guy I couldn't trust to responsibly handle one of my rifles,is a guy I wouldn't be Hunting with,in the first place. My rifles are tools and meant to be used. I've zero qualm sharing them.

For a utilitarian rifle,out of the box. It would be difficult to beat a S/S Ruger MK II. They can be found both new and used,for reasonable. 243Win is a good chambering,for most everything and will certainly handle the harvest of Deer to your 200yd line.

I'm different I guess,I couldn't pawn a shitty rifle,to an unsuspecting pard..........

<Red Green>
posted
Thanks for all the tips.

The friends in question are good friends, and had I not thinned out the herd I wouldn't be in this mess now. Wasn't thinking about it when I sold 'em all, but the wife quit work to stay home with the boy, so money was on the brain more than anything.

I'm not looking for unsafe crap, but I don't want to spend a fortune, either. You hear about these guys getting great deals on sporterized military rifles, and I thought that might be an option for me.

I don't plan to let these guys loose on the farm to hunt, which is the reason they can't use my Win. Model 70...I'll be with them as a guide and backup. I have a home range that we'll use so they can get accustomed to the rifle, and I'm hoping to get my hands on a rifle chambered in a short action cartridge. I hadn't thought about a new NEF single shot, and I'm now leaning in that direction.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I found myself in such a situation last fall. Having a "spare" bolt action in an adequate deer cartridge is great (and I did), but what do you do when all of your rifles are right-handed and you are supposed to provide a rifle for your left-handed brother-in-law?

My solution - Get another barrel for your ambidextrous, single-shot, T/C Encore (because you don't have a "deer cartridge" barrel), then sell it to him when he gets his own Encore receiver....

Bill

Posts: 1169 | Location: USA | Registered: 23 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I picked up an old beater Rem. 700 ADL 30-06 years ago for around $200 and it just became my loaner rifle out of necessity when my kids were getting into shooting and hunting. It's big enough for deer and elk. I taught both my son and daughter to shoot with this rifle. I haven't done a thing to it and it is one of my best shooters. I still see them at the gun shows once in awhile for around this price, if you're patient and "in the right place at the right time."- Sheister

Posts: 385 | Location: Hillsboro, Oregon | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Reloader66>
posted
Get a new Savage package rifle at Wal-mart chambered in 30-06. The package rifle comes with a scope all ready bore sighted. They often have them on sale for $299.00. The Savage will get the job done.

one of us
Picture of 8MM OR MORE
posted Hide Post
I find myself in agreement with Big Stick on this one. Right down to the caliber. If I can't trust someone with my best I don't need to be putting them in that position, nor myself. If they don't have a gun that they would rather bring, lighter caliber might be best. Be sure to let them have target time to prepare themselves well. Then go hunting and have some fun!!!!!

------------------
Good Shooting!

Posts: 1944 | Location: Moses Lake, WA | Registered: 06 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Red Green>
posted
Hey 8mm,

The wife was a Richland Bomber. Glad to see someone from the state on board.

The two in question are Seattle boys that are coming over. They play with handguns a lot at Wade's in Bellevue, but none are really versed in using a rifle; hence the rangework prior to the hunt. They'll be heading over separately.

I solved the problem by getting my Parker-Hale 1200 rebarrelled. Spending more money than I had planned, but it's been without a barrel for a few years. It'll be a .338WM when it's done.

Thanks everyone for all the feedback.