THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Hunting near Washington, D.C. - How far do you have to go???

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hunting near Washington, D.C. - How far do you have to go???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Gentlemen,

Is there any decent hunting near D.C.?? If so, how far do you have to go, and where? I may be back there fairly often from now on, and I need to know where to go.

Thank you very much..!!

Joel Slate
Slate & Associates, LLC
www.slatesafaris.com

Posts: 643 | Location: DeRidder, Louisiana USA | Registered: 12 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
White-tail deer in Pennsylvania (more killed by cars than most states during hunting season), West Virginia, Delaware, Maryland and New Jersey...the latter three don't allow rifles and have limited areas but some really big deer. Pennsylvania has lots of deer and a lot of open land to hunt but also has a lot of hunters.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
Joel -
Dave King, in some of his posts over at the "MatchKing is not a hunting bullet" thread, noted that, in parts of Maryland, it's possible to shoot a number of deer. Maybe you can e-mail him and find out some particulars.

About two hours west of DC (if you leave before the traffic gets too bad) on I-270/70 in Allegany and Garrett Counties, there's some pretty good deer hunting, I hear.

R-WEST

------------------
"the spotlight of truth will cause the cockroaches of deceit to run for cover every time"
Rush Limbaugh

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
<ovis>
posted
jrslate,

Western Maryland is beautiful country and there's good deer hunting out there. For the trophy whitetail hunter, the Eastern Shore of Maryland has been producing some great heads and there are some opportunities for Sika also. Good Luck!

Joe

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help so far guys!

Joel Slate
Slate & Associates, LLC
www.slatesafaris.com

Posts: 643 | Location: DeRidder, Louisiana USA | Registered: 12 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My experience is in Virginia.

There are tons of deer in Loudoun and Prince William counties--both 15-30 miles from DC. Prince William doesn't allow rifles. Both are private land only (except Quantico Marine Corps Base). Loudoun leads the state in annual kill ...

For decent public land you're talking a two hour drive in any direction. I hunted quite a bit in the George Washington National Forest during the late muzzleloader season ... felt like I had the place to myself.

John

Posts: 1246 | Location: Northern Virginia, USA | Registered: 02 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
VIRGINIA!!!!
Check out Quantico Marine Base, I hunt there myself. Feel free to email me if you have any questions or need help getting hooked up.
Quantico is Close, good numbers of deer, and in the last 5 or 6 years because of the good QDM they have some very respectable bucks comming out of there. If you bow hunt and can get off during the week, you have it made.

------------------
Thanks, Mark G

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything." Genesis 9:3

Posts: 358 | Location: Stafford, Virginia | Registered: 14 August 2001Reply With Quote
<303hunter>
posted
I second the motion for The Eastern Shore. Get in a club over there. There are absolutely tremendous whitetails, and then you have Sika stags (mini elk)
and then of course the fabulous waterfowling. Whitehot barrel dove shooting also I bet in Va. Then there is all that good fishing and crabbing.