THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Right hand shooter, left eye dominant

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Right hand shooter, left eye dominant
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
How do you deal with a right hand shooter, left eye dominant? This guy is 37 years old. Been shooting all his life aiming with his left eye shooting right handed. This is the strangest shooting position I have ever seen. I'm telling you this guy is really having a hard time of it.

Dear AR members, what can I do to help this poor guy out?

Posts: 281 | Location: MN | Registered: 27 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Research into this problem has shown that the hand is easier to train than the eye . Therefore ,if left eyed he should shoot left handed. In the old days they sometimes made a weird stock that had a dogleg so you could use left eye right hand !

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
I have the same problem. I just shoot right handed and use my right eye. My vision ain't that great so doesn't matter what eye I use. I tried shouldering left handed, didn't work for me. When I use a scope the dominancy doesn't matter. When I use irons, I close my left eye so I dont see two targets, but if I want to keep 'em both open, I have learned to distinguish what one of the two targets will go away when my left eye is closed.

Sevens

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Me too, but I was taught to shoot right handed when I was a kid so I still do. But when I took up archery as an adult, doing left handed (and left eyed) seemed more natural. When I read people give advice on keeping both eyes open while aiming, I know for sure that they aren't cross dominant because that's impossible for people who are.

Posts: 66 | Location: Cheyenne, WY | Registered: 15 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm right handed and left eyed. What I do is wear shooting glasses with a dot in front of my left eye. I usually use a black target paster but even a little clear tape will work. You have to experiment a little bit on exactly where to place the dot but you can then shoot with both eyes open. I found that I shot better with peep sites with both eyes open and can't do it without the dots.
Some shooting hats (Gehman for example) have a blinder that you can position in front of the eye for the same thing. Both ways work with scopes too.

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Murf
posted Hide Post
I have to agree with Mete re it being easier to train the hand than the eye. I am a lefty with a dominant right eye. While shooting a 22 Savage pump action I got a face full of hot gasses when the gun fired without being locked. I decided to shoot right handed and in a very short time it became the natural side so much so that when I had to carry a sidearm later in life i wore it right handed and shot right because that hand had deveoloped better trigger control.

Posts: 14361 | Location: Sask. Canada | Registered: 04 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Slingster
posted Hide Post
I have the same situation, and I just dim my left eye and use my right eye to shoot. My left eye dominance isn't very strong, so this works for me, but it may not work if your friend's dominance is strong.

Posts: 1079 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a friend whose son shoots exactly like described with his neck stretched across the stock. When I sugested that perhaps they could try letting him shoot left hand they looked at me like I was insane. It would seem when he outgrows the .22 that a bigger rifle will hurt him.

Glad to see that I'm not as weird as I thought. I am left handed and left eye dominant but I learned to shoot with a bolt action .22 fourty-five years ago. So I shoot rifle and shotgun right handed and pistol left handed. I've done it so long that it feels very natural. I do have to squint with my left eye when shooting long guns but I don't think I could do anything different at this late date.

Posts: 13023 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
R W Hart & Sons in Nescopek, PA make a 'fixture' that offsets the riflescope to the left of the action allowing him to still use his left eye without contorting his neck.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I suffer the same problem - if you search you'll find other threads on the subject. I'm now learning to shoot left-handed and I think in the end it will be much easier.

I saw an advertisement for the product you mentioned and it looked like it would be cumbersome(?sp) to me. Do you know anyone who has actually used it?

Shannon

Posts: 659 | Location: Texas | Registered: 28 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bobby Hart showed me a rifle with it attached and a scope mounted. It's made from aluminum alloy so is very lightweight. I will admit it looks kinda clunky but it did solve the problem for the elderly gentleman who lost the use of his right eye. I have no further info.
Certainly, if you or anyone can modify their shooting behavior, that would be the best way to go.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I dont think it's an eye dominance issue as much as a practicing issue. Supposedly with my bow shooting (recurves/longbows, no sights), a right/right shooer theoretically should be able to shoot better than me but I (shooting right handed-left eyed with both eyes fully open) whup ass nearly wherever I go. Why? because I practice until I fall down wheras most folks dont practice nearly as much as they should. Walter bell gave some very good practicing instructions and talked about using snap-caps and practice firing (not shooting) at everything he saw when walking around. He(and I agree) said to disregard the master eye, when you have practiced mounting and snapping off 10,000 shots, it will all fall into place. i doubt few anymore do that kind of deliberate practicing, most call sighting-in practicing when it isn't; not even the same ball park. _Baxter

Posts: 66 | Location: Idaho/Virginia | Registered: 09 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
It's not all that hard to switch, I switched from RH to LH in my twenties after shooting A LOT from the time I was 10. Start with a 22 rifle, then work your way up in recoil. Once you get comfortable with the recoil, start with the shotgun shooting trap and eventually work your way up to skeet. I would, however, only go thru this for physical reasons (I'm legally blind in my right eye) if it's an eye dominance issue, it is probably easier to train yourself to close your eye or use tape on your shooting glasses.

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I taught my son to close his left eye to solve the problem.

Posts: 32 | Location: Gilbert, Mn | Registered: 20 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

It's not all that hard to switch, I switched from RH to LH in my twenties after shooting A LOT from the time I was 10. Start with a 22 rifle, then work your way up in recoil. Once you get comfortable with the recoil, start with the shotgun shooting trap and eventually work your way up to skeet. I would, however, only go thru this for physical reasons (I'm legally blind in my right eye) if it's an eye dominance issue, it is probably easier to train yourself to close your eye or use tape on your shooting glasses.

My situation is similar. My right eye is very poor and cannot be improved. I have been shooting since before I
can remember. When I met my stepfather at age eight he noticed I was left eye dominant but right handed, so he taught me to shoot left handed. It certainly cuts down on the choice for bolt guns, but otherwise ain't too bad. I shoot hand guns righty and use the left eye, of course.

Posts: 323 | Location: Keithville, La. USA | Registered: 14 February 2002Reply With Quote