New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bob Kern Booking Agent indicted!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Money talks and B.S. walks! I hope they all get punished! Big bucks and no regard for laws!

Illegal hunt: Guide faces hard time, wealthy client not indicted. Is that right?

A quick show of hands: All those in favor of a guide being indicted on a charge of importing antlers and horns from an illegal hunt abroad – yet his billionaire client gets off scot-free?

That's apparently the case in Texas, where a guide faces up to five years in prison and a $250,000 fine if convicted while the grand jury has declined to indict the rich hunter who booked the trip, the Associated Press reports from Houston.

It's a tough one to call. We can see both sides: Throw the book at the guide only, or throw in the hunter – who claims ignorance – as well.

What would you do?

Robert Kern, head of The Hunting Consortium in Berryville, Va., led a 2002 hunting trip in Siberia, where 74-year-old Houston energy tycoon Dan Duncan and other hunters shot moose and sheep while flying in a helicopter, the AP reports.

According to the indictment, "Kern used helicopters to locate trophy-sized moose and sheep for hunters on the trip. The helicopters were then used as airborne shooting platforms by the hunters."

Kern was indicted Wednesday on one count of violating the Lacey Act, which prohibits importation of wildlife taken in violation of conservation laws.

"Bob Kern is not guilty of these allegations and will vigorously contest them in court and trial," said his attorney, Tim Heaphy.

In July, Duncan told a Houston grand jury he was unaware hunting from an aircraft was illegal in Russia.

Rusty Hardin, Duncan's lawyer, said the grand jury declined to indict his client. "We're hopeful that this matter is over as far as Dan Duncan and the other hunters are concerned," Hardin said.

Duncan, who ranks 85th on Forbes' worldwide list of billionaires, has an estimated net worth of $8.2 billion, according to the AP. He is chairman of the company that manages Enterprise Products Partners, a midstream energy giant with more than 30,000 miles of natural gas, petrochemical and crude oil pipelines and other facilities.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would like to invite Dan on another helicopter hunt...except this time he gets to the ground a lot quicker. He's a turd as far as I am concerned and if anything...the book should be thrown at him for enticing the guide with big dollars to do it. No matter what, he is an accessory to a crime but apparently its not worth wasting taxpayer dollars to pursue him. It is better off if an accident can be arranged somewhere in the boonies. Feed the grizzlies!

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
geez what trophies.shot from a helicopter. Roll Eyes

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have any of you ever dealt with Mr. Kern?

I have once and find him to be a an arrogant SOB.

I hope his prison daddy finds him agreeable. wave

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Have any of you ever dealt with Mr. Kern?

I have once and find him to be a an arrogant SOB

My son guided him on a caribou hunt, and he is the one that told me about Kern. His words were pretty much the same as yours!

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Didn't I read on here that MR Duncan is high up in the SCI?

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SO many american hunters use the chopper when hunting in Russia its not funny, when i was there in 06 two out of the three American hunters got there brown bears from the chopper, another friend of mine was over there and one very prominent politician from the white house was also shooting his game from the chopper, i guess there is one rule for one group of people another set of rules for the rest
Daniel

Posts: 1488 | Location: AUSTRALIA | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Didn't I read on here that MR Duncan is high up in the SCI?

Yes!