Find
Notify
Tools

California draw results are in
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted
I struck out, but I'm interested to hear if anyone got lucky.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
Nothing for me or my son either.

Posts: 2508 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
No luck for me. Just hunting on the ranch as far as California this year.

one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
Nothing again on the Elk and Antelope. Managed a 2nd choice for a "C" tag.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
Anyone else participate in the draws?

Blacktailer, or any or our other CA hunters???

Jason

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used up all my deer points last year and it was worth it (got a nice 5x4!!!) so I wasn’t expecting anything for deer, but not drawing a Tule Cow tag is getting old.

I put in every year for a goat and sheep but I never plan on drawing one, and I never do!

Posts: 396 | Location: CA | Registered: 23 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
La Panza Bull Elk for the old man.
X2 for me, my dad, and brother.
Will be a fun fall season. WY GMU 45 Bull Elk tag too.

Posts: 756 | Location: California | Registered: 26 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
There is no doubt in my mind that when my application was received they used to say "oh that guy" and threw it in the trash. Now that the system is computerized my Go ID is programed to be sent to the "trash" file. Eeker

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
I did a "point only" for deer and elk. Then got a couple of A tags. Next year I will put in for an X tag and elk.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
I DREW! I DREW! dancing

I put in for preference points for elk, bighorn, and antelope, and I got 'em all!!! Cool

My trip to Africa this year has pretty much maxed out my hunting budget. Besides, figure I still have another 10-15 years before I even have a chance at the elk and bighorn tags.

Congrats to the lucky hunters who did draw!

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sevens:
Besides, figure I still have another 10-15 years before I even have a chance at the elk and bighorn tags.

Do you have max points, or ????

Jason

-Jason Brown

One of Us
posted Hide Post
M11, M3, X2, Zone 4 Lassen antelope. No luck at all. Oh well, another season in the B-Zones.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I "drew" the highly coveted A-Zone tag, but struck out on elk, sheep, and antelope.

Posts: 96 | Location: Arroyo Grande, Ca. | Registered: 09 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The wife and I drew X-4, first time since 2006. It will be nice to hunt in the back yard, so to speak, as we live in X-4.

Posts: 126 | Location: nothern ca | Registered: 29 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cornfield SWO
posted Hide Post
I was fortunate enough to draw a Fort Hunter Liggett tule elk cow tag this year. I struck out on my deer tag so it looks like D16 for me this year again.

Soli Deo Gloria

Posts: 178 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 10 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I drew a D12 tag as a second choice.No elk or antelope this year.

one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
My brother drew an X-1 which means he gets to hunt his own place since he lives next to the Pit River SE of McArthur.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I drew an Antelope tag.
Lasen Period 1

Should be good times!

Posts: 146 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
quote:
Besides, figure I still have another 10-15 years before I even have a chance at the elk and bighorn tags.

While we will have 10 to 15 more points, so will 99% of everyone else Confused And I am running out of time...................

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBoutfishn:
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
quote:

While we will have 10 to 15 more points, so will 99% of everyone else Confused And I am running out of time...................

I don't have the max amount of points, just seems like all the winners have been putting in for 20 years or so. I really hope it doesn't take that long for me to draw, but, if that 20 year timeline holds true, a bighorn sheep hunt would make a great 40th birthday present to myself. Wink Big Grin

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't have the max amount of points, just seems like all the winners have been putting in for 20 years or so. I really hope it doesn't take that long for me to draw, but, if that 20 year timeline holds true, a bighorn sheep hunt would make a great 40th birthday present to myself. Wink Big Grin

Regarding big horn sheep:
I have crunched the numbers and, with the current situation that gives 75% of the tags only to those with max points, those with less than max points will be waiting a long time.

The only way the max points guys loose their points is if the draw, die or stop putting in for the draw. With only a dozen or so getting drawn each year things look pretty bleak for us non-max point guys.

The good news is that the elk situation is MUCH better and quite a few max point guys get drawn each year.

BTW, I guess I should not be too bitter as I am the number 4 alternate for a Mendocino cow elk tag.

Jason

-Jason Brown

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jason for that disheartening statistic. Frowner Oh well, maybe bighorn sheep in another 40 years ...