Find
Notify
Tools

My son's first elk (photos)
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of IdahoVandal
posted
Hey all! My 14 year old son got his first elk just before sundown. 280 yards using 168 gr. Barnes TSX from his 30-06. ONE SHOT! He is a nice 5x5, he passed on a longer shot at a 7x7 because he wasn't confident he could make it (it was about 350 yards)......

Once again, I can't say enough about Barnes TSX!!

IV

minus 300 posts from my total
(for all the times I should have just kept my mouth shut......)

Posts: 844 | Location: Moscow, Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Weidmannsheil to the successful and skilled young hunter. Way to go!
- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
IV, that's GREAT! Congrat's to you and your son!!! The smile says it all!

My 12 yo son got his first BG animal two weeks ago (antelope, one shot at 200 yards with 223 Rem & 53 gr TSX)... like you I'm a proud papa! I'll be using the 168 TSX in my 30-06 for elk starting tomorrow.

BA

one of us
posted Hide Post
IdahoVandal ----- Way to go good buddy, it is certainly a thrill to have your son find success in the hunting field at your side. My son is a dedicated Deer and Elk hunter and the one of my 6 grandsons got his first Elk in 2003, and hopefully the rest will follow, along with the lone grandaughter. It is also fun for grandpa to set-up each a personal rifle. My wife thinks it is just another excuse to add to my collection, she always was as smart as she is pretty. wave thumb Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IV-way too cool, that will be something that is never forgotten.

Mark D

(if you hunt with your son now, you won't have to hunt for him later)

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
Damn! great going to the 14 year old!!! that is a super bull! He sounds like one very good hunter!! You did a good job bring him up!! Smiler

Congrats to the both of you!! And the bull of course!!! thumb

"America's Meat - - - SPAM"

As always, Good Hunting!!!

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Simply great! Congatulations to the both of you. That trophy will bring rich memories for years to come.

Regards--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Hats off to both of you thumb

Neither of you will ever forget that day!!

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3077 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
IV,

What an acheivement! Bet you are one proud papa!

~Ann

Posts: 19551 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to your son, I.V., and to you, also. Sounds as if you both had a great hunt.

L.W.

"A 9mm bullet may expand but a .45 bullet sure ain't gonna shrink."

Posts: 349 | Location: S.W. Idaho | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of WyoJoe
posted Hide Post
Awesome. Way to go.

There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor polite, nor popular -- but one must ask, "Is it right?"

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Posts: 1172 | Location: Cheyenne, WY | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good shooting on his part. Tell him way to go.

Posts: 19583 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 323
posted Hide Post
Congrats to your son, There is no better feeling than shooting your first elk. I shot my 1st elk 10 years ago. It was during the High Cascade elk hunt in Oregon it was 4x3 raghorn Roosevelt elk. Again Congrats

John

Handmade paracord rifle slings: paracordcraftsbypatricia@gmail.com

Posts: 2501 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 31 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of IdahoVandal
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the comments, he is definetly on cloud nine.

It has been quite a week as my middle son who is 8 went with us on a succesful doe hunt last week and he got hooked on hunting as well from watching us process a nice little doe....now he can't stop talking about "big game hunting"

I guess its time to take my 7 year old son out next.....

IV

minus 300 posts from my total
(for all the times I should have just kept my mouth shut......)

Posts: 844 | Location: Moscow, Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The smiles say it all! thumb

7,8, and 14! How many more you got? LOL!

I had 4 sons!

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Good on you for taking your kids(s)out so soon...Gotta get them started at an early age.

Retired USN.....finally

Molon Labe.

Posts: 27 | Location: North to Alaska, maybe Nevada. | Registered: 15 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Wonderful, simply wonderful!

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IV,
Now that is one happy elk hunter. Excellent. My son is 14 so I'm working on getting him his first deer this year. There is nothing better than the unadulterated joy of a young hunter with their first "trophy". Great job.

Jeff

In the land of the blind, the man with one eye is king.

Posts: 784 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 18 December 2000Reply With Quote